Forum Connect

Share your events/deadlines: October

• 1.  Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 17 days ago

Hello All!

Your community manager here! Continuing with a monthly post for you to share your events/deadlines/upcoming activities in one spot for October.

Please feel free to share in this thread any relevant events, deadlines, or resources that are available the month of October. Even if your event is very geographically specific, I think there's value in all of us seeing what's out there and what people are doing-I know I find it interesting and helpful to learn what's going on out there!

I'll get it started … I always have something to share here!

We'll be livestreaming a bunch of programming during PastForward (Oct 10-12)...for FREE! I hope that you'll join us virtually if you won't be with us in Denver.

The fine print!

* The community is meant to be a place for conversation and dialogue, sharing of ideas and asking of questions, I certainly want it to be a comfortable place where you're not bombarded with promotional material, I also want you to be able to share some great events you're hosting or relevant material/resources that you have available. So to that end each month I'll start a thread for you to share events/deadlines/resources that are available in the coming month. Of course, we want the material and events to be relevant and make sense for the community members, but if we all include them in one post, we won't degrade the integrity of the community (per the Code of Conduct we don't want this to be a place where people sell their products or services, but if you have an event coming up that you think people would be interested in or have a call for ideas we can collect those all in one post every month). I also think by sharing events it may spark discussion or generate ideas for things that you may be considering doing.

If you have questions of what would be appropriate, just send me a message. And, please don't post jobs here-we have a jobs board for that!

------------------------------
    Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 17 days ago
    I also forgot to add that I'm going to a Partners in Preservation: Vote Your Main Streets event this weekend!
    If anyone is in Salt Lake City be sure to stop by the Ladies Literary Clubhouse on Sat., Oct 5 from 9-9pm. They're going to have yoga/coffee at 9am, nook/crany tours throughout the day, and then a party in the evening...with dancing!
    PLUS, when your in person vote counts twice on Saturday and will help them in the competition to earn much needed grant funding.
    Colleen
    ~you can vote your main street every day online until Oct 29.

Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 16 days ago
    Thanks @Colleen Danz for this opportunity to share what's up around the country.

I recently joined the board of Long Beach Heritage as their VP of Public Awareness. Looking forward to helping this great organization form a solid communications strategy and cohesive voice. We're seeking nominations for our 32nd annual Preservation Awards, due November 1.

What I love about LB Heritage's awards is that they honor not just historic rehabs, pioneers in preservation, and educational programs, but also sensitive infill (new construction!) - how common is that nationwide? I'd love to hear all of your thoughts.

Cindy Olnick
    Los Angeles, CA

• 4.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 13 days ago
    That's really interesting @Cindy Olnick -- to my knowledge we haven't, but I like that idea -- sensitive infill. I personally feel like new construction isn't the enemy, as long as it's done right, thoughtfully, and within the culture and fabric of the community it's very good. I really appreciate awarding those that do it right!
    Now back to my non-personal feelings, but my professional input -- the award category that that type of award could fall under would be our

Richard H. Driehaus Foundation National Preservation Awards. When are your awards? I'd love to see the recipients when they're announced.
    thanks,
    Colleen

Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 13 days ago
    Thanks @Colleen Danz I think awarding sensitive infill is fantastic, since that's the wave of the future for sure. We should know the winners by the end of the year; I'll keep you posted!​

Cindy Olnick
    Los Angeles, CA

• 6.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 10 days ago
    I second the comment that "sensitive infill" would be a great category for an organization's annual awards. In light of your message, Cindy, I'll be recommending that the Madison Trust for Historic Preservation add it as a category for next year. 

We have an existing category for "future landmarks" which is a similar, but distinct, effort to recognize excellence in new construction. 

On a related topic, we've been fortunate to have some longstanding members on our committee that selects the award recipients. This type of institutional knowledge is somewhat helpful in maintaining consistency from year-to-year. However, we don't have any written standards or criteria for our various categories (other than simply the category name). If some other organizations have developed standards or criteria and would be willing to share, I'd love to see them.

Thank you.

Kurt Stege
    President
    Madison Trust for Historic Preservation

• 7.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 6 days ago
    While at Preservation Utah, we started a new award category for Compatible Addition. That's been well received with a nomination every year directly in that category, and used as a subcategory for other winners.

Kirk Huffaker
    Salt Lake City UT
    (801)949-4040

• 8.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 6 days ago
    Hi @Kurt Stege - Long Beach Heritage has honored sensitive infill for years (not sure how many); they may have gotten the idea from the California Preservation Foundation, whose award categories include Contextual Infill (see the Award Categories tab on their awards page).​

The same page (Overview tab) lists CPF's eligibility criteria:
    • Qualifying projects include historical buildings, structures (50 years or older) or properties on, or determined eligible for, national, state or local historical registers or inventories, such as the National Register of Historic Places, California Register of Historical Resources, State Historical Landmarks, State Points of Historical Interest, and city or county registers, inventories or surveys of historical or architecturally significant sites, places or landmarks.
    • All projects must be located in California, or in the case of a study, etc., must deal with a California subject.
    • Project entries must have been completed between June 1, 2013 and May 31, 2019.
    To qualify for a Long Beach Heritage award, projects:
    • Must be located in the City of Long Beach
    • Should conform to the Secretary of Interior's Standards for the Treatment of Historic Properties
    • Should be completed within one year prior to submission
    For a Los Angeles Conservancy award, projects must:
    Hope this helps!

Cindy Olnick
    Los Angeles, CA

• 9.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Ambassador
    Posted 5 days ago
    Milwaukee has had the categories of "sensitive addition" and "sensitive infill" for quite some time. It's nice to have them, but we rarely get submissions for those categories and they're awarded even less often.

Usually additions get lumped into the rehabilitation or adaptive reuse categories. https://city.milwaukee.gov/cityclerk/hpc/CreamCityAwards

Tim Askin
    City of Milwaukee Historic Preservation Commission
    Milwaukee WI

• 10.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 5 days ago
    @Timothy Askin I'm not surprised about low submissions re. new construction -- seems like something that would need to be encouraged/cultivated with specific projects but would help raise the profile of preservation as not being mutually exclusive with development. ​

Cindy Olnick
    Los Angeles, CA

• 11.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 12 days ago
    San Mateo County Parks Department has two special historic events occurring in October 2019:

1)  The October 26, 2019 opening of the Sanchez Adobe Interpretive Center where three major periods of early California history can be interpreted at this single site, and it's first Ohlone Day with speakers representing the Ohlone tribes of the San Francisco Peninsula.  Here is a link for additional information:  https://historysmc.org/ohlone-day-event

2)  The City of Pacifica, Golden Gate National Recreation Area and San Mateo County Parks Department are partnering to hold the first Ohlone Portol`a Heritage Day in recognition of 10,000 years of Ohlone history and the Gaspar de Portol`a's 250th anniversary of the first European sighting of the San Francisco Bay 11/4/19, which was the catalyst for the future development of California.  Here is a link for additional information:  https://www.smccvb.com/event/ohlone-portol%C3%A1-heritage-day/6380/

Sam Herzberg
    Senior Planner, AICP
    San Mateo County Parks Department
    Redwood City CA

• 12.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 11 days ago
      |   view attached
    Free Public Lecture at the Maryland Historical Trust, Tuesday, October 15, 2019; doors open 18:30, lecture begins 19:00.
    100 Community Place, Crownsville, MD 21032

U-1105
    'Black Panther' History and Archaeology of a U-boat  by Aaron Stephan Hamilton

Mr. Hamilton will have copies of his new book available for purchase.
    Due to limited seating please Register for this free lecture at this link:

https://www.eventbrite.com/e/u-1105-black-panther-history-and-archaeology-of-a-u-boat-tickets-68283262075

Free parking onsite; photo ID required as it's a government building.

Additional information is also available at the Registration link and in this blog by Troy Nowak, Maryland Assistant State Underwater Archaeologist:
    https://mdhistoricaltrust.wordpress.com/2019/08/28/black-panther-history-and-archaeology-of-a-u-boat/ 

Hope to see you there!

Susan Langley

Attachment(s)

• 13.  RE: Share your events/deadlines: October

Posted 5 days ago
      |   view attached
    Greetings all! We've extended the deadline for session proposals for the 2020 NY Statewide Preservation Conference!! Deadline is now Friday, 11/25.

The Conference will take place March 26-28 in Syracuse, NY. We'd love to see proposals both from within and beyond NYS. There is no particular theme to the Conference--subject matter is wide open. However, we do place a priority on sessions that include diverse panelists/speakers and topics that address issues of diversity, inclusion, and equity in the HP field.

>>Details here.

Caitlin Meives
    Preservation Planner
    The Landmark Society of Western New York
    Rochester NY