Forum Connect

reading a long, complex thread

• 1.  reading a long, complex thread

Posted 6 days ago

Hello,

I'm involved in a longish, complex discussion about resource Significance that is interesting and inspiring on several levels. But I'm finding it difficult to do since I've not figured out how to see all the posts at once in a row, so that bits of one or another can be referred to in my response. Is there a simple way. Yes, I'll admit I'm a bit dumb about these things! Hope you can help!

Thanks so much.

Ginny MacKenzie Magan

Tomales, CA

• 2.  RE: reading a long, complex thread

Posted 6 days ago
    This is perfect timing, Ginny.
    As your community manager I've been thinking of staring a monthly thread about the technical side of our community. A place for you all to ask me questions ... or provide suggestions.
    I really like our platform, but there's certainly some tricky things about it ...and they sometimes make updates without giving us much notice. While I'm not a tech expert by any means I'm part of an online community (like this) for people like me who oversee online communities.
    I think what you might want to use is the "reply inline" feature -- this is sometime new. It's the same as "reply to discussion" but it doesn't take you away from the page, so you can see the discussion.
    You can also refer to specific people by typing the @ sign and then begin spelling the person's first and last name ... like I appreciate your bringing this up @Ginny MacKenzie-Magan bc it prompted me to start a thread I've been meaning to start!
    Hope that helps. ​​ ​
    Feel free to ask away ... if I don't have the answer I know where to get it! And, suggestions are welcome -- the platform we use is very responsive to hearing ways that can make it more user friendly (it may not translate to an immediate change, but they're open to hearing our suggestions!)
    Thanks,
    Colleen

------------------------------
    Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: reading a long, complex thread

Posted 5 days ago
    It's definitely a little clunky...  reminds me of the old PHP forum days.

glad for the discussions though.

Kurtis Hord: Architectural design / Lime putty masonry (tuck pointing and chimneys) / Pattern making / European guild-influenced roofing and cornice making
    tradroofing.com / (412) 228-0241
    all honor to god / the meek and humble shall inherit the earth

• 4.  RE: reading a long, complex thread

Posted 5 days ago
    The REPLY INLINE tip is just what I needed though! Thanks!

Ginny MacKenzie-Magan
    Tomales CA