Forum Connect

Share your upcoming events/deadlines: March

• 1.  Share your upcoming events/deadlines: March

Posted 03-04-2019 11:01

Hello All!

Your community manager here! Continuing with a monthly post for you to share your events/deadlines/upcoming activities in one spot for March.

Please feel free to share in this thread any relevant events, deadlines, or resources that are available the month of March. I ask that the information posted in this thread is relevant to the preservation community (see some notes below about this "upcoming events" section). Even if your event is very geographically specific, I think there's value in all of us seeing what's out there and what people are doing-these events could post further conversations, too.

If you have questions of what would be appropriate, just send me a message. And, please don't post jobs here-we have a jobs board for that!

I'll get it started … I always have something to share here!

Forum is hosting a webinar on easements, March 13 at 3 p.m. ET-Ensuring Perpetuity: Effective Easement Monitoring. Speakers will discuss the importance of developing a good monitoring routine, from developing standardized procedures, how to conduct a site visit effectively, different approaches to monitoring reports, and how to address violations. All are welcome to join.

The fine print!

* The community is meant to be a place for conversation and dialogue, sharing of ideas and asking of questions, I certainly want it to be a comfortable place where you're not bombarded with promotional material, I also want you to be able to share some great events you're hosting or relevant material/resources that you have available. So to that end each month I'll start a thread for you to share events/deadlines/resources that are available in the coming month. Of course, we want the material and events to be relevant and make sense for the community members, but if we all include them in one post, we won't degrade the integrity of the community (per the Code of Conduct we don't want this to be a place where people sell their products or services, but if you have an event coming up that you think people would be interested in or have a call for ideas we can collect those all in one post every month). I also think by sharing events it may spark discussion or generate ideas for things that you may be considering doing.

------------------------------
    Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Share your upcoming events/deadlines: March

Posted 03-05-2019 06:40
    I have an event coming up also on March 13 in Atlanta. I am giving a one hour presentation on Adaptive Reuse to the AIA Atlanta Principals Roundtable. Unfortunately it is already sold out, but posting just to show what's going on in Atlanta around preservation.

Here is the description and the link.

Join us for our March PRT JLL's Adaptive Reuse Director Rainey Shane leads a conversation on new and improved adaptive reuse strategies. Learn emerging trends, what developers wish you knew and useful insights into how we can improve project delivery.

This discussion will help you better understand the current issues and prepare you for the future of adaptive reuse. PRT includes a hot breakfast buffet and a brief Q&A session. Reserve your seat at the table today.

https://www.aiaatl.org/events/prt-march-2019/

Rainey Shane
    VP, Adaptive Reuse Director
    JLL
    Atlanta GA

• 3.  RE: Share your upcoming events/deadlines: March

Ambassador
    Posted 03-06-2019 10:43
    Edited by Sarah Marsom 03-06-2019 10:43
    This Saturday, the Young Ohio Preservationists are putting on Craftivism: Advocacy + Letterpress Workshop!

"Enjoy this unique opportunity to learn letterpress and refine your advocacy techniques at Igloo Letterpress in historic downtown Worthington! This 2-hour advocacy workshop will begin with a letterpress workshop, where you will have the opportunity to create preservation-themed postcards. You will love learning this traditional printing technique that has been used since the 1400s (aka hundreds of years)!

After printing your postcards, we will learn advocacy techniques from Sarah Marsom, heritage resource consultant and recipient of the 2018 National Trust for Historic Preservation's Aspire Award. Marsom will delve into strategies to be a champion for historic preservation at both a local and statewide level. Plus you'll learn what top-level historic preservationists are advocating for currently statewide and how you can help. We will conclude the workshop with all participants writing a postcard to a city official or state legislator to promote a historic preservation effort they are passionate about. Postage will be provided. There are only 20 seats available so register now to secure yours!"

I am excited to be a part of this Young Ohio Preservationists event and I am honored to be the keynote of Modern Phoenix Week  later this month. Many of the Modern Phoenix Week events are at capacity, but you can still sign up for tours of Paolo Soleri's Cosanti, a historic designation celebration, a midcentury property research workshop, and more! Alison King won the National Trust for Historic Preservation American Express Aspire Award in 2013, and it is amazing to see how her initiative - Modern Phoenix has continued to grow. 

Sarah Marsom
    Heritage Resource Consultant
    Tiny Activist Project
    me@sarahmarsom.com

• 4.  RE: Share your upcoming events/deadlines: March

Ambassador
    Posted 03-06-2019 12:01
    I'm looking forward to Preserving the Recent Past 3 in LA next week. The program and tours all look amazing. Online registration ends today!

Barbara Howard
    Stonebridge Learning, LLC
    Minneapolis MN

• 5.  RE: Share your upcoming events/deadlines: March

Posted 03-07-2019 16:07
    Edited by Michelle Prior 03-07-2019 16:08
    Hi everyone! Preservation Leadership Forum has two free webinars this month:

• Ensuring Perpetuity: Effective Easement Monitoring | Wednesday, March 13 from 3:00 p.m. to 4:00 p.m. EST

• Managing Photography at Historic Sites: Effectively Capturing Collections, Buildings, Landscapes, and Visitors on a Budget | Tuesday, March 19 from 2:00 p.m. to 3:00 p.m. EST

Visit our website to register!

Michelle Prior
    Coordinator, Publications and Programs
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC