Forum Connect

1.  When does preservation become social justice?

Posted 11-15-2017 14:00

Hi Everyone,

I am thrilled to kick off my PastForward week with a day focusing on social justice and activism in preservation. We just had a fantastic luncheon where we heard Craig Barton, provost and senior vice president of Academic Affairs at the School of the Art Institute of Chicago, discuss how his work as an architect intersects with race, memory, and identity. I definitely see social justice as part of my work in preservation. Do you? How do you incorporate social justice into your preservation work, or how would you like to?

------------------------------
Jacqueline "Jacquie" Johnson
Manager of Programmatic Diversity
National Trust for Historic Preservation
Washington, DC 20037
202-588-6407

2.  RE: When does preservation become social justice?

Posted 11-15-2017 17:15
Hi Jacquie. While I believe that social justice as it relates to historic preservation, especially in the urban context, is considered in terms of race and ethnicity, my career has been focused on inclusive solutions for living and social interaction for people with disabilities, which cuts across all categories of those who face discrimination and exclusion.  Because historic design did not consider accessibility to be relevant, it is now a challenge to include people with significant mobility impairments in the urban neighborhood settings which provide so much benefit to them.

Jim Sparks
Glasgow KY