Forum Connect

Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines February 2021

• 1.  Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines February 2021

Posted 25 days ago
    Edited by Priya Chhaya 25 days ago
    Welcome to February Forum Connect.

As always here is the thread for you to post your announcements, events and deadlines. Remember to consider the Code of Conduct as you post!

I am staring outside my balcony window at the first real snowfall the DC area has had in a while (I'm just outside the city in Virginia). There is something about being at home after a snow fall that makes me more motivated-it's that or drinking hot cocoa and reading that makes me happy. My current reading involves two books about historic trees-I am continuing my year long journey to finish The Overstory, while listening to a book called The Journey of Trees. Two pieces of writing that consider the role of memory and how nature connects us with our ancestors and the past. I am also finishing up a book that I've been reading slowly so as to allow me to sit with the information. It's called In the Wake: On Blackness and Being by Christina Sharpe and is part of my continual work to understand and convey the stories of underrepresented communities.

In that vein,  February is Black History month. While we try and tell the stories of Black Americans all throughout the year, I want to encourage Forum Connect members to share any events, work, or conversations you are having around protecting and preserving  Black history. While we have a number of stories  to share this month, I would like to invite everyone to join us on February 18 on the first of many Forum Webinars on Brown vs. Board of Education.

A few additional deadlines"

In addition to the February 18th webinar we have a few others that are in progress so keep an eye on this space for those as the registration links go live!

------------------------------
    Priya Chhaya
    Forum Connect Community Manager

Associate Director of Content
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines February 2021

Posted 24 days ago
    I'd like to reinforce the Trust's announcement of the March 15 application deadline for the National Fund for Sacred Places. I serve on the Advisory Board and can report the amazing success stories of repairing and restoring houses of worship of every faith across the nation. For more information consult the websites of the Trust and of Partners for Sacred Places (sacred places.org). I also have a book that may help you make the case for saving these buildings: Historic Houses of Worship in Peril: Conserving Their Place in American Life (available on Amazon).

Thomas Frank
    University Professor
    Wake Forest University
    Winston-Salem, NC

• 3.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines February 2021

Posted 24 days ago
    ARCUS is a leadership development program for anyone who identifies as an emerging leader in the cultural heritage, public history, and historic preservation movement writ large. We offer a series of dynamic, engaging workshops and a year's access to online courses and networking opportunities for individuals who seek to become more effective leaders. The Spring 2021 Fellowship workshops will focus on Developing an Inclusive and Antiracist Approach to Cultural Heritage Leadership. ARCUS Fellows will also receive access to online courses and earn a certificate for completing training.

Applications are due February 23 and can be found here:
    ARCUS Leadership Program: Fellowship Spring 2021 Application

You can contact me directly with any questions or concerns, as I am the Program Manager. We are completing this workshop series for the first time (for  Fall/Winter), and it has been well-received.

Google Docs remove preview
    ARCUS Leadership Program: Fellowship Spring 2021 Application
    Dear ARCUS Applicant: We are pleased to invite you to apply for a Fellowship to the ARCUS Leadership Program (www.arcusleaders.com). ARCUS is a leadership development program offering a series of dynamic, engaging workshops and a year's access to online courses and networking opportunities for individuals who seek to become effective leaders in the cultural heritage and historic preservation movement.
    View this on Google Docs >

Jackie Barton
    Westerville OH
    *Opinions my own and not those of my employer, clients, or anyone else they annoy.

• 4.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines February 2021

Posted 24 days ago
    Edited by Priya Chhaya 24 days ago

@Thomas Frank you read my mind this morning!  I realized that I left the NFSP off the list above.

Grant Funding for Sacred Places
    Historic houses of worship, from prairie churches to urban synagogues, are the bedrocks that continue to sustain us as a people, uniting us in service and celebration. Together, we can protect them for generations to come-apply for a grant from the National Fund for Sacred Places to keep these places as an important part of our national cultural heritage.

The National Fund provides training, planning grants, technical assistance, capacity-building support, and capital grants up to $250,000 to congregations of all faiths for rehabilitation work on their historic facilities.

Congregations are urged to submit their letter of intent by March 15 for the Fund for Sacred Places for projects such as:

• Urgent repair needs that are integral to life safety.
    • Projects that improve the usability or ADA accessibility of the property.
    • Renovation projects for important community outreach.

In the four years of this program, 52 houses of worship from an Art Deco gem in Asheville, NC to a Modern sanctuary in New York City have received more than $10 million in funding supporting projects that range from steeple stabilization to exterior masonry repair to HVAC replacement. Learn about past participants Temple Beth Ahabah (Richmond, VA) and North Christian Church (Columbus, IN), as well as the full list of the 2020 recipients.

Visit www.FundforSacredPlaces.org for more details, including eligibility requirements, guidelines, and online application.

Priya Chhaya

Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines February 2021

Posted 24 days ago
    Good morning! Colorado Preservation, Inc. invites you to join us at our online conference!

Saving Places: Preservation in Action
    February 10-12, 2021
    https://virtual.savingplacesconference.org/

Saving Places is going Virtual for 2021! But this is not just another Zoom meeting. For over 20 years the Saving Places Conference has been THE historic preservation conference in the region, gaining a reputation far extending our Colorado borders. If you have never been in the past or have made the conference part of your February traditions – now more than ever we need you here!

The threats and challenges addressing preservation and its related fields are real, but so are the success stories and positive moves forward. This year we are bringing you content directly tied to the current climate with panels addressing issues of economic development, COVID-specific challenges, and question of relevance and inclusion.

Join us for three days of substantive content that begins each day with a keynote speaker and breaks you off into four blocks of session content, with three choices of sessions per block and one interactive networking breakout option. That is over 36 sessions, workshops, and breakouts that can be joined live or accessed later.

See you there! https://virtual.savingplacesconference.org/

Jennifer Orrigo Charles
    Denver CO
    3038934260 x237

• 6.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines February 2021

Posted 24 days ago
    Edited by Priya Chhaya 22 days ago
      |   view attached
    https://thehill.com/homenews/state-watch/536840-artists-unveil-massive-juneteenth-mural-in-town-where-holiday-began

Community Manager Note: I consolidated Sam's posts to make it easier: This drive link goes to a video about the event and the mural.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/17kaGIzxz_3X88KizBPB2vj195al51uRm/view

Samuel Collins
    HITCHCOCK TX

• 7.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines February 2021

Posted 22 days ago

Join us for the 2021 Fitch Colloquium Friday, February 19, 2021 from 12:00pm-5:15pm (EST). Presented by The Columbia GSAPP Historic Preservation Program and the National Trust for Historic Preservation

Artists are leading a broad rethinking of heritage, and claiming a central role within preservation practice. In recent years, many BIPOC artists have worked with built heritage to take up the legacies of racial inequities and historical injustices as central themes in their work. Artists confront, challenge, or reframe the role of heritage in society. What will the future of preservation look like as art becomes more central in the profession?

This symposium convenes BIPOC artists who integrate heritage – and all its sociopolitical implications today – into their works and explores the intersection between art and preservation.

Learn more and see the schedule: https://www.arch.columbia.edu/events/2170-2021-fitch-colloquium-the-art-of-preservation-engaging-and-amplifying-underrepresented-heritage

Priya Chhaya

Washington DC

• 8.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines February 2021

Posted 17 days ago
    Please join US/ICOMOS for our first World Heritage Webinar of 2021: "Tribally-driven Bison Restoration Comes to the Glacier/Waterton World Heritage Site." Thursday 25 February at Noon EST.
    Learn more and register here: https://usicomos.org/webinars/
    Join us for our first World Heritage Webinar of 2021:

Jennifer Spreitzer