Forum Connect

Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

• 1.  Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Posted 01-08-2019 15:58

Here at Preservation Leadership Forum we're trying something new on Forum Connect – Ask Me Anything. We'll be asking people, whether around here at the National Trust or in the preservation field at large, to sign on to Forum Connect daily for a week to answer your questions about the work they do. These folks will make a point of coming to Forum Connect daily for a week to respond to your posts.

Starting this series is Diana Maxwell, Manager of Grants at the National Trust for Historic Preservation. Diana also was our speaker for a recent Webinar on this topic last month, you can access it here.

Diana will be available to answer your questions for the week ending January 11. 

Thanks,

Colleen Danz your Forum Connect Community Manager

------------------------------
    Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Posted 01-08-2019 16:01

Hi! This is Diana… go ahead ask me anything, well anything about the grants program here at the Trust! For instance, our Preservation Fund grant applications are due February 1 while our African American Cultural Heritage Action Fund Letters of Intent are due next week-January 15. I'll do my best to answer questions about preservation funding in general, though I don't know the ins/outs of that world as well as I know what's going on here at the National Trust (If you do, chime in!). But feel free to ask me what sort of funding our program covers, how we work with grant recipients, and other questions you may have. And if you've received a National Trust grant, let me know!

I hope that I can answer your questions and get to know more of you out there on Forum Connect!

Diana
    Grants Manager at the National Trust for Historic Preservation

Diana Maxwell
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Posted 01-09-2019 11:48
    Edited by Sarah Marsom 01-09-2019 12:45
    What are your top three favorite projects (completed) that received funding during your tenure as Grants Manager that you think best exemplify the National Trust for Historic Preservation's goals?

Sarah Marsom
    Heritage Resource Consultant
    Tiny Activist Project
    me@sarahmarsom.com

• 4.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Posted 01-09-2019 11:50
    Hi Diana!

We're applying for the Action Fund grant and sent some specific questions out to you last week by email. Is there a better way to get a hold of you as I think some of our questions are too specific for this larger platform.

One general question we do have on the Action Fund grant is what constitutes overhead costs?

Thanks,
    Michelle@nevadapreservation.org

Forum Member Nevada Preservation Foundation
    Las Vegas NV

• 5.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Posted 01-11-2019 12:41
    Thanks so much for the quick follow up and jumping on the phone with us this week! Your insight was very helpful.

-Michelle

Forum Member Nevada Preservation Foundation
    Las Vegas NV

• 6.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Ambassador
    Posted 01-09-2019 11:52
    With the success of the African-American Heritage fund, are there any other existing grants or plans to create other grant programs for other communities such as Latin American, LGBTQ, Asian, etc.?

I realize that NPS has its under-represented communities program, but certain states lack the political capacity to expend public funds on studies on some of these communities. Private funds from the National Trust could negate this challenge.

Tim Askin

• 7.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Posted 01-09-2019 15:00
    @Timothy Askin We would love to have more grant funds like the AACHAF! One of our Grants team goals for this year is to develop a framework ​for other funds like the AACHAF that we can share with our development team and funders. In the mean time, we're always happy to fund diverse projects with our other grant funds!

@Forum Member Nevada Preservation Foundation Hi Michelle! Apologies for not replying earlier- grants@savingplaces.org IS the best way to make an initial contact with us. I just got back on Monday from 2  weeks of vacation and am still behind on responding to emails. I'll respond this afternoon.

@Sarah Marsom Ooh this is a hard question Sarah! I don't know if I can pick my absolute favorites. I do love projects where smaller communities come together  to save places, like the Teslow Preservation Group saving a grain elevator in Livingston, Montana, or the San Augustine Garden Club in San Augustine, Texas, which worked so hard to rehab a 1919 jail. We've funded a couple of projects for the American College of the Building Arts in Charleston, South Carolina, through our Richard and Julia Moe Family Fund, and I love the way they mix a liberal arts education with hands-on trades work. Their program almost makes me want to go back to college, but then I'm reminded of my current student loan balances. I also love when I get a chance to visit sites we've granted to. We don't really have a travel budget, but if I can tack on a visit while I'm personal travel I usually do, and I had a great visit at the Aiken-Rhett House in Charleston. We've given a few grants to Aiken-Rhett/Historic Charleston Foundation, and it was great to see the house in person and get a sneak peak at what they'd learned through their archeological work. I don't know that those project reflect all of what the National Trust is trying to do, but I think these groups are striving to tell a variety of American stories, which I know is one of our goals!

Diana Maxwell
    Washington DC

• 8.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Posted 01-10-2019 12:31
    Edited by Jamesha Gibson 01-10-2019 12:34
    @Timothy Askin and Diana,
    I am super excited about this idea! Especially if there were a kind of coalition/network formed around it that could connect sites and landscapes via location and intersectional historical experiences (race, class, gender, etc.),among other things. I think beyond funding, this could help sites share resouces and come together in solidarty to collaborate to solve relevant issues in their communities today.

Jamesha Gibson

• 9.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Posted 01-10-2019 12:15
    Hi Diana,
    Thank you for taking time to answer our questions! I have a few (but they are all related, I promise):
    1) Does the National Trust (and other grant providers) have initiatives/programs to reach out to, educate, and assist smaller organizations (or even small communities who may not have a representive organization) who may not be aware of the grants available?

2) If smaller organizations/communities can't afford a grant writer or consultant, what resources can they use to still successfully complete a grant application?

3) Are their waivers for groups who may not be able to afford matching grants?

4) Finally, what type of grants does the National Trust offer that are less bricks and mortor focused, and more place-based,  community building focused?

Again, thanks for taking time to answer our questions.

Jamesha Gibson

• 10.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Diana and the National Trust Grants Program

Posted 01-11-2019 09:49
    @Jamesha Gibson Hey Jamesha, thanks for your questions. In response to the first, we don't really have a good way to do this- we send out information to anyone who's show interest in grants, as well as SHPOs, and we do encourage forwarding the emails and social media posts. We see the social media posts show up from other organizations, so this is happening, but that is likely reaching organizations who already have a connection to preservation. I'm not aware of other places that do this, but there could be! Do you have thoughts on how to reach those outside of our preservation sphere? We have in the past reached out to specific associations/non-profits, like the National Organization of Minority Architects or the AASLH, but they are still tangentially related to preservation. I'm not sure exactly where we'd start trying to reach out to people who have no connection at all to preservation! We get quite a few applications from very small organizations and communities, so I think when they're googling around, many folks are finding us.

For your second question, no there are not waivers for the match. We've found that grants are more likely to be successfully completed if the grantee has "skin in the game" so to speak, so almost all (Intervention Fund and AACHAF grants don't) of our grants require the match.

I think any of our grant programs could be used in a community building focused grant, as long as it was place based. We'd want to be sure the applicant's expenses were eligible, but if it would ultimately help save a place, or introduce people to historic preservation, we're usually on board. We have funded things like community forums in the past, so I think we do a bit of this, we just tend to see more traditional asks come in.

Diana Maxwell
    Washington DC