Forum Connect

Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

• 1.  Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 03-16-2020 15:08
    Edited by Priya Chhaya 05-18-2020 10:58

All

As events related to COVID-19 unfold, I wanted to start a conversation about how various historic sites and organizations are preparing and messaging the impacts on their sites. I know that everyone is likely in full planning mode, but thought it would be worthwhile to share with each other any suggestions/resources you are looking for as we enter this unprecedented - and unpredictable time.

In addition, I would love to hear more about you need.

Full disclosure, I'm hoping to aggregate this information to share with the preservation community through a page here on Forum (it'll launch sometime tomorrow, and will link to it here), but am open to adding to it.

Also ICYMI here's what we're doing at the National Trust.

My thoughts are with everyone. Stay safe! 

Priya

------------------------------
    Priya Chhaya
    Associate Director of Content
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 03-16-2020 16:41
    All - our resource page is live. As I say in the intro, we're really trying to share what our partners are pulling together, but also will have some preservation and site specific content over the next few days. Here is the link (which will also be on the homepage shortly).  https://forum.savingplaces.org/covid-19

Priya Chhaya
    Associate Director, Publications and Programs
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 03-17-2020 11:49

Priya,

Thanks for getting this going. Our (very small) office is teleworking and planning on how to deal with grant deadlines that are being submitted to us. Of course here in the tourism world there has been lots of discussion about closures and impacts.  The UN World Tourism Organization posted this page: https://www.unwto.org/tourism-covid-19-coronavirus And we are dealing with all the shifting events. We have largely suspended social media because it didn't feel right to cheerfully support a local heritage site that was probably closed anyway. However, we are currently discussing how we can use this time to help our followers understand the heritage tourism field and make connections with resources to learn during this time. (I've authorized my staff to go ahead and take some online courses to expand their skill set.)

Looking forward to more ideas and comments from others!

Aaron

--------

Aaron Marcavitch, Executive Director

Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.

MAILING: P.O. Box 367, Hyattsville, MD 20781

PHYSICAL: 4318 Gallatin Street, Hyattsville, MD 20781

301-887-0777 (p)

301-887-1077 (f)

www.marylandmilestones.org

• 4.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 03-18-2020 10:51
    Aaron, 
    Do you have a list of the on-line courses your staff is taking?  It might be valuable to some on the forum. 

Thanks, 

Paula Jarrett Nasta, AIA
    Assistant to the Director, Historic Preservation Program
    School of Architecture, Planning, & Preservation
    University of Maryland

• 5.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 03-18-2020 12:12

Hi Paula,

Thanks for asking. What I have been doing is several American Association for State and Local History courses toward their Small Museum Pro certification. Those aren't free, but there are several great options to do free training if you are looking at non-profit admin.

In particular, I have been using these free online course sites:

nonprofitready.org

candid.org (formerly grantspace)

EdX.org

Coursera.org

The last one I'm using to take some courses in finance and leadership. You can audit many of the courses for free. If you want to pay for the certificate you can, but I'm just doing it to do some extra learning. Similarly for EdX.

I also signed up on StackSkills for graphic design refresher courses just to keep my skills sharp, but those do cost.

I'm taking courses in Climate Change if/when we get to go back out again.

The goal was to create my version of a master's degree.

I hope these help.

--------

Aaron Marcavitch, Executive Director

Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.

MAILING: P.O. Box 367, Hyattsville, MD 20781

PHYSICAL: 4318 Gallatin Street, Hyattsville, MD 20781

301-887-0777 (p)

301-887-1077 (f)

www.marylandmilestones.org

• 6.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Ambassador
    Posted 03-17-2020 11:52
    Edited by Barbara Howard 03-17-2020 11:58
    Priya,

I just spent the last hour or so catching up on emails from nonprofits and businesses and couldn't help but start thinking about disaster planning. When the 2008 flooding hit Iowa, I was at the Iowa SHPO and wanted to pull a fully formed guidebook off the shelf to help us through the response and recovery; it simply didn't exist. Thank goodness for @Jennifer Sandy at the Trust, the staff of NCSHPO, and our colleagues at FEMA​​​, who all helped keep us sane.

We've done so much to advance the cause for disaster planning for historic sites and history organizations, but this sort of emergency is rarely part of the conversation. From accommodating remote workers to maintaining connections with patrons during closure to post-emergency assessments of assets (built, financial, personnel, or otherwise), we all need to be better prepared.

I always say spending a bit of time planning before a disaster happens will save time and help ease strain during the inevitable. The same could be said of this emergency.

Wishing everyone good health for the days and weeks ahead!

Barbara

p.s. These are my own opinions and do not represent those of any organizations for which I volunteer or work, including the City of Minneapolis Heritage Preservation Commission and the Minnesota Department of Transportation.

Barbara Howard
    Stonebridge Learning, LLC
    Minneapolis MN

• 7.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 03-17-2020 15:08
    Americans for the Arts is hosting a webinar on Thursday, 3/19 at 3:00 Eastern Time called "Arts and Culture Sector and the Coronavirus: What we Know and How to Move Forward" that might be of interest to folks.

All the Details and Registration: https://artsu.americansforthearts.org/products/arts-and-culture-sector-and-the-coronavirus-what-we-know-and-how-to-move-forward

Stay safe and healthy everyone!

Grant Stevens

• 8.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 03-17-2020 15:10
    Additionally, the American Association of Academic Museums and Galleries is hosting a "Panel Discussion Around Issues Related to COVID-19." From their website: Please join AAMG for a remote panel discussion around issues related to COVID-19 and academic museums and galleries. The panelists will be responding to questions submitted in advance."

https://www.aamg-us.org/wp/covid-19-updates/

Grant Stevens

• 9.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 03-18-2020 11:14
    Here is a webinar related to Audience Engagement taking place today at 2pm from Cuseum.

https://zoom.us/webinar/register/7215843743552/WN_97Igm2EsQ8yYG6SNiT2bqw

Priya Chhaya
    Associate Director, of Content
    Washington DC

• 10.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 03-18-2020 12:49
    @Aaron Marcavitch thanks for sharing that list.

Here is another webinar related to fundraising from Charity Dynamics. This is taking place on March 24.
    https://www.charitydynamics.com/learn/webinars/covid-19-strategies-to-help-your-organization-navigate-the-impact-on-fundraising/ ​

Priya Chhaya
    Washington DC

• 11.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 04-15-2020 15:54
    Edited by Cindy Olnick 04-15-2020 15:55
    Hi all -- @Priya Chhaya, thanks to you, @Geoff Handy, and @Robert Bull for yesterday's webinar on communicating and fundraising.

It just so happens that I'm doing a live Q&A on a similar topic next week for the California Preservation Foundation (CPF):

Preservation Marketing in a Crisis
    Tuesday, April 21
    3pm EDT / 12 noon PST
    Free
    Register here

It'll kick off a new series of free CPF webinars called "The Doctor Is In," focusing on various topics.

While it covers the same broad topic of communications for preservation, my session will differ slightly from yesterday's in that:
    • It'll be primarily Q&A after a brief (10-minute) intro
    • It'll focus less (but some) on fundraising specifics and more on messaging, connecting with your audiences in general, and targeting your efforts

There's too much info on communications and fundraising to fit into a week of webinars, so my goal is to complement the great info from yesterday's, share a snapshot of best practices right now, and learn more about the challenges people face so we can continue the conversation.

If you register, please send me your question(s) in advance if you can (and/or any examples of great messaging you've seen).

Hope to "see" you there!

Best,
    Cindy

Cindy Olnick
    Los Angeles, CA

• 12.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 04-15-2020 16:34
    @Cindy Olnick glad you found it useful, and I am glad you are sharing your event here!

I also wanted to draw attendtion to the resources on the Advisory Council's website at www.achp.gov/coronavirus.​​

Priya Chhaya
    Washington DC

• 13.  RE: Resources and Responses to the Coronavirus

Posted 05-18-2020 10:50
    Hi all,

The recording and slides are now available for my recent Q&A for the California Preservation Foundation, The Doctor Is In: Preservation Marketing in a Crisis.

I shared some principles, tips, and examples of how preservation professionals can connect with key audiences during the pandemic. It overlaps a bit, but not much, with Forum's great webinar on communications and fundraising, which I tried to complement.

Since the recording and original slides focused largely on nonprofits, I made a new set of slides for businesses. Both sets are also on the CPF site with the recording, and the video's also on YouTube.

It's wonderful to see such creative work by preservation orgs across the U.S., and I deeply appreciate the input of Erin Kelly from Preservation Massachusetts and Madie Westrom of the Montana Preservation Alliance. (I mentioned both orgs, and !) I'm excited to keep following these and other groups as we all figure this out together.

Our world is changing so quickly that it's about time for new tips and examples. Please let me know if you'd be interested in an update, and/or if you've done or seen cool messaging/engagement lately. I've got lots more to share!

Best,
    Cindy

​​​​​

Cindy Olnick
    Communications consultant for historic places and preservation
    Los Angeles, CA
    cindyolnick.com

Cindy Olnick
    Communications consultant for historic places and preservation
    Los Angeles, CA