Forum Connect

What questions do you have about affordable housing + HTCs?

• 1.  What questions do you have about affordable housing + HTCs?

Posted 05-15-2018 15:39

We're holding a webinar on this topic this Thursday afternoon and the speakers want to make sure they're covering what people want to learn about.

Does anyone have a question they'd like to make sure gets covered by the folks in Maine (a state where they have a "bump up" in the amount of the state's HTC for affordable housing creation) or experts who've done projects using HTCs + the Low Income Housing Tax Credit (Artspace and the Connecticut Trust for Historic Preservation)?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Renee Kuhlman
    Blacksburg VA / Washington, DC
    (540)951-1661

• 2.  RE: What questions do you have about affordable housing + HTCs?

Posted 05-15-2018 15:52
    Hi Renee -- I am very much looking forward to this webinar!
    I would love to hear about the application of HTCs and LIHTC at various scales -- if these tax credits lend themselves to projects of certain scales and why.

Olivia Tarricone, AIA
    Preservation Architect
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Houston, TX Field Office
    otarricone@savingplaces.org

• 3.  RE: What questions do you have about affordable housing + HTCs?

Posted 05-16-2018 10:41

Hi Renee,

We might not have discussed this, but in the last few years the Texas Department of Housing and Community Affairs has changed their scoring criteria for LIHTC programs and now award more points for historic projects than they previously did. Between this change and our state historic credit, we have many more low-income projects happening around the state. Not many certified yet, but we have half a dozen or so in progress.

In talking with another group in our agency, I have a similar question to Olivia--at what scale is LIHTC worth it (the applications can be hundreds of pages long!) and what other programs are available for smaller scale projects that can be paired with the historic tax credits?

Thanks!
    Caroline 

Caroline Wright
    Texas Historical Commission
    Austin TX

• 4.  RE: What questions do you have about affordable housing + HTCs?

Posted 05-17-2018 18:04
    I was unable to attend the webinar on affordable housing and tax credits.  Will you be posting it?  I hope so.
    Thanks,
    Duffie

--
    Do you know about 
    Flagstaff Townsite Historic Properties Community Land Trust
    ?
     Townsite CLT exists for "Promoting historic preservation and community investment with permanently affordable owner-occupied homes."  
    Join 
    Townsite CLT 
    and display your support

https://www.townsiteclt.org  TCLT is a 501(c)(3) nonprofit.