Forum Connect

Newbies at PastForward

• 1.  Newbies at PastForward

Posted 15 days ago

Hey all! This will be my first PastForward Conference - any other first timers?! - and I am really looking forward to it. Building off Colleen's post last week about the host city, I'm looking for tips on how to navigate the conference itself - how to plan my time, what not to miss, and what people are most looking forward to...

I found this PastForward pro tip from a post last year, so would like to build off of that. Any experienced attendees able to pitch in? Looking forward to meeting some of you in San Francisco next month!

------------------------------
    Michelle Prior
    Coordinator, Publications and Programs
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 14 days ago

I'll be a newbie, too.  :-) 

I'm struggling with figuring out how to schedule my time. It seems like there are some events that come with registration and many that do not (as in, you have to pay extra), but the app doesn't seem to differentiate. So I'm afraid I'll be selecting things to attend only to find out that I've traveled to some far flung part of SF but can't get in to the event because I didn't pay to be there. I'm hoping everything will be made clear at check in. 

Hmmm, didn't think about this till just now, but it might be worthwhile to see about adding some cashola to my Clipper card before I head out there, too. For anyone that doesn't have a Clipper card (Clipper Home), but you plan to use BART or MUNI, you might want to see if there's still time to order one online. That way you won't be stuck in a line at the machine at the airport. 

And while I haven't tried any of these places yet, for those of you that are, like me, trying to do this event on a budget, here's a post I've found on Cheap Eats in San Francisco. Essential Cheap Eats in San Francisco

Meg Dunn
    Fort Collins CO

• 3.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 14 days ago
    Meg,
    I work on the conference team at PastForward -- so happy to help trouble shoot some of the agenda issues.
    What's included in your registration?
    ALL Learning Labs (75 min educational programming), Power Sessions (30 min sessions), and TrustLives (the key presentations that kick of the discussions around the main conference themes) are included. As is the Welcome Reception at Palace and the Closing Luncheon -- the Closing Luncheon is an opt in event that caps out. While it's full at this point, we almost always are able to accommodate people onsite once all the ticketed attendees get in. Anything that has a price associated with it (Field Studies and select lunches), those you need to add to your registration separately.  On the agenda you can search by time/day or by session type so you can see just the Learning Labs or the Power Sessions.
    San Francisco
    Love the idea about adding $$$ to your card. I've been to San Francisco several times in the last few years for work and I do struggle a bit w. their public transportation system (I am personally, and very dorkily, a HUGE public transportation fan!!) But it seems you have to pay separately for each of their modes of transit -- one card won't get you on the bus and train system. That being said, the HQ hotel is RIGHT near the Embarcadero stop on the Bart. Check out the San Francisco section of the website for maps and other recommendations -- I'm going to steal your cheap eats link to add to that!
    PastForward App
    I'd recommend downloading the app the week before and playing around on it to get used to. Refresh it if it seems like it's going slow. You can add items and create your own personal agenda. I'll be sending out some attendee emails starting next week w. tips/tricks and ways to get around, so your feedback is helpful.
    Some of my tips -- the welcome reception is a great way to mingle and start making connections with people --there will be a lot of people also in the same boat as you (new to the conference). Obviously, attend as much of our great programming as possible (I'm a bit biased, but I think we've put together an amazing conference -- I'm super excited to hear Dr. Milton Chen speak during the TrustLive Intangible Heritage.I interviewed him for our blog and he's so interesting, with such a unique background and I'm excited to hear him weave his experience into this discussion.
    I could go on!
    Thanks -- stop by and say hi if you see me. I will also be at the Preservation Leadership Forum table in registration before/after the TrustLives.
    Colleen

Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 11 days ago
    Hi Colleen and @Meg Dunn. Actually you can use a Clipper card on any and every mean of transportation in the Bay Area, including the ferries. So, I would second Meg's suggestion to get a Clipper card in advance of your trips out here. You can also get a Clipper card in every Walgreens - the card itself cost $3.  I believe you can also buy it at the SFO information desks and one of the kiosks within the Bart station may be selling them as well. The ride from the International Terminal Bart fare gates to the Embarcadero Station (a minute away from the conference hotel) is little over 30 minutes.

Also, here is a shameless plug for Oakland. In case you don't have anything planned for Friday night, 11/16, I would suggest taking a ferry into Oakland (just imagine a sunset on the Bay like the one I am attaching from my recent commute) and going to the Oakland Museum of California (OMCA) for their Friday Nights community events (http://museumca.org/2018/friday-nights-omca-nov16). Currently OMCA is hosting the last leg of an international exhibit on Charles and Ray Eames, which is a definitely  a must see for all mid-century design and architecture aficionados and on Friday nights the admission is half priced. http://museumca.org/exhibit/world-charles-and-ray-eames​​​
    Enjoy the conference and SF.

Melita Jureša-McDonald
    Oakland, CA

• 5.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 13 days ago
    One of my favorite things to do is to just hang out in the exhibit hall. I fully admit that I'm a pretty hopeless introvert in these situations. But I will always come across someone I know or someone I want to know in the exhibit hall. I also tend to session hop and listen in on various things. I don't take field sesssions since this already has broken my travel budget for the organization.

There was a time when there were more meetups than I see now. But you can always ask to make your own. Just post that you want to meet up at a particular location and talk about a particular issue and see who comes.

Also leave time to explore. I like the pass idea and I'm going to get mine today. But see the city. I loved Indianapolis and exploring there - even going as far as renting a car to see Connor Prairie. I'm aiming to try to get to Muir Woods on this one.

And above all just just get into the swing. Look at peoples badges and ask them what they do. We won't bite and you gain a new contact.

Aaron Marcavitch
    Maryland Milestones/ATHA Inc.
    Hyattsville MD

• 6.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 12 days ago

Hi Michelle and Everyone,

I will be a newbie as well to the Conference -- and to historic preservation in general. I'm a second-year graduate student within the University College Dublin World Heritage Conservation online program. I work out-of-field but hope to transition within the next year or so into heritage conservation, if all goes well.

The decision to attend PastForward was last minute because we're visiting my sister as well; I changed plans to accommodate it (I'm glad it all worked out!). Unfortunately, my husband and I fly in on the afternoon of the 14th so I'll miss a bit.

I must admit that I am an introvert so I have a bit of anxiety about being in large groups, especially since I will not know anyone there. There are so many things to choose from, but since I'm very interested in intangible cultural heritage I have concentrated Thursday and Friday mornings on Learning Labs, TrustLive events, and Power Sessions, in addition to attending the Preservation Lunch, the MIX breakfast, and the Closing Luncheon. Then we're off to visit my sister and her family.

Melissa Medders
    Graduate Student, World Heritage Conservation, University College Dublin
    Florida, United States

• 7.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 10 days ago

I just went to add money to my Clipper card and realized there's a new deal out where, for $5 a day, you can get unlimited rides on MUNI (the San Francisco bus and rail system). Clipper *could* work for both, but you'd be paying $2.50 each way for a MUNI ride. So, if you plan to go to more than one place (and back again) by MUNI, the $5/day option works out well. But... it's it's own thing. You have to download the MUNI Mobile app. 

It's easy to do. You purchase your rides in advance. And you only pull them up when you travel. 

If you think you'll be doing more than one round trip ride while you're in San Francisco, you might want to check this out. Here's a link with more info:

MuniMobile Frequently Asked Questions

As far as getting from SFO to wherever you're staying... there's Lyft or Uber, of course, If you go that route, there's a central pickup location out in the parking garage part of the airport. Follow the signs. You'll feel like you're walking forever, but it's really not so bad. 

If you're taking BART, you probably only want to get a BART ticket. You can also use a Clipper card for BART, but you pay $3 for the card plus whatever fare you need to put on it. It really only makes sense if you're going to be using it a lot... which you won't be if you're only in town for a week. 

Hope this info helps anyone relying on transit. See you all there!

Meg Dunn
    Fort Collins CO

• 8.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 6 days ago
    Excited about the opportunity to learn, but also excited because this is my first trip to San Francisco.  In my preparations, have come across a few things that I think are helpful (at least to me they were):
    1.  A website called Practical Wanderlust has a 6-mile walking map of San Francisco that takes a person through many of the great neighborhoods and sights of the city (you need to join in order to get the map, but the website has provided many other insights into the city for me).  As my flight in arrives early on Monday morning, I'm planning on taking this walk shortly after arrival while I wait for check-in time at the hotel.  https://practicalwanderlust.com/
        I am taking that walking tour map and inputting it into Google Maps, so I can meander through the city with earbuds and listen to music (I see there is a Spotify playlist group also having discussions about this trip), while getting walking directions in my ears - rather than being that person who tries to walk and read a map at the same time, screaming "I'm a tourist" (though staring at architecture and everything around me will be a dead giveaway regardless).  If anyone likes, I'll submit a link later this week to my created route so you can do the same.

2.  There are also a couple of after-hours events I have seen on a concert website - https://www.songkick.com/ - during the week in San Francisco, including Southern Culture on the Skids playing at Slim's on Tuesday night, and a personal favorite, Ike Reilly, playing at The Lost Church on Wednesday.  Van Morrison is playing two nights that week; Joan Baez is playing on Thursday night.  I've got my Lyft app all ready to go, and charging up my BART account to get me to and from the city.

Thanks for the information that has been provided.  The hosts have been incredibly helpful to me in getting signed up for things, and I look forward to the conference!

I find it ironic, too, that I'll be in the same city with the actually-famous Thomas Keller - can't decide if his restaurant is going to make the list or not, though MOMA, City Lights Bookstore, and some others are intended targets if time allows.  See you folks next week!

Thomas Keller
    Sioux Falls, South Dakota
    "He tried to be content, which was a contradiction in terms." (Sinclair Lewis)

• 9.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 6 days ago
    Edited by Meg Dunn 6 days ago

What does "special convening" mean? Are those invite only events?

And looking back at my registration email, it says I signed up for a "Preservation Meet-and-Greet," but I can't find it on the schedule. Does it have another name? 

Meg Dunn
    Fort Collins CO

• 10.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 5 days ago
    I am also a PastForward newbie. This will only be the second conference I've ever attended and my first time on the west coast.

Tamara Schlossenberg
    Owings Mills MD

• 11.  RE: Newbies at PastForward

Posted 5 days ago
    @Meg Dunn Special Convenings are lunches/networking events/panel discussions. If they're not ticketed (cost money) you can go to them without registering. Here's a link to what means what at the conference!
    Basically, if something doesn't have a ticket and a price associated with it, you can go to it. I'm going to ask the people who do our website if there's any way to indicate by color or something when things are ticketed/cost money.
    Ahhh ... the Preservation Meet/Greet -- that even changed names recently. It's now the Preservation Leader and Chafee Award Reception on Tuesday. I'm going to see if the registration company can make that change on the backend!
    My tricks/tips for using the website/app ... first of all, def download the app to use on site. It should automatically refresh, but I would refresh when you get to San Francisco. I'm going to move around the website/app so it's more user friendly for the attendee starting tomorrow (once online registration closes). For the agenda, use the drop down arrow to "view all" to see EVERYTHING! I'd also create a schedule by liking things you want to go to, then on your profile you can see how your time is laid out.
    @Thomas Keller Love those ideas!
    Also, one of the things I do when I travel is check out Atlas Obscura -- they have some really cool, hidden gems that they highlight, taking you off the well worn tourist paths!
    If you guys see me around, feel free to say hi ... I'll sometimes be at the Forum table by registration.
    Colleen
    ​​​​​​​

Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    Washington DC