Forum Connect

Historical Storytelling through Technology

• 1.  Historical Storytelling through Technology

Posted 01-11-2018 15:36
    Edited by Priya Chhaya 01-11-2018 15:37
    Hello Forum Connect!

Hope everyone is having a great New Year! I am looking for examples of how preservationists are using technology tools in unique and innovative ways to tell stories at at historic sites (or through your organization's work).

The reason I ask is that I am moderating a Forum Webinar on technology and storytelling next Tuesday. We have some great panelists  - Lauren Northup from Historic Charleston Foundation, Sheila Brennan from the Roy Rosenzweig Center for History and New Media and Jessica Marie Johnson from Johns Hopkins University  - that will share tips and tools about their work, but I thought it couldn't hurt to have some other examples on hand to point to.

For more information on the webinar (which is Free!) visit forum.savingplaces.org/forum-webinar.

Thanks in advance!

Priya

------------------------------
    Priya Chhaya
    Manager, Online Content and Products
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Historical Storytelling through Technology

Posted 01-12-2018 16:28
    Hi Priya!

My name is Anna Blyth, and I am an undergraduate researcher in the Civil and Environmental Engineering department at Princeton University. Coincidentally, I am also from Charleston!

My thesis project is performing a structural analysis of the Morris Island Lighthouse. One of the things I am working on is a Virtual Tour and Informational Model that allows users to walk through the lighthouse and interact with "hotspots" that open datasets about the lighthouse. Eventually, I intend to use this to incorporate structural information. But right now I am creating a sort of virtual museum for the lighthouse. I haven't finished inputting all the historical data I want to incorporate, but some is in. It's a fun project, and it seems relevant to your discussion!

Let me know if you are interested and how I can contribute!

Anna Blyth
    Undergraduate Researcher
    Princeton University
    Princeton NJ