Forum Connect

Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

• 1.  Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-01-2019 07:34
    Happy Preservation Month!

What are you all doing to celebrate this month? Use the following link to encourage your community members, peers, and networks to celebrate, 31 Ways to Celebrate Preservation Month.

I'll start!! Per #4 on the 31 list, "eat somewhere new in someplace old", I'm in Denver doing Field Study dry runs for PastForward and I had dinner last night at Stanley Market. Stanley Market is a rehab aviation site...home of Denver's first airport built in 1954, it's now home to 50+ businesses. A fun place to shop and eat. I ate at Denver Biscuit Company (I also checked off #3 on the 31 list, "shop local" because I bought some gifts for friends I'll be visiting this weekend in Fort Collins!)

Colleen
    ​​​

------------------------------
    Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-01-2019 08:30
    During the Rust Belt Takeover of Milwaukee, attendees will have the opportunity to celebrate preservation in a myriad of ways! We will be learning more about the Mitchell Park Domes (a National Treasure), riding bikes through an Olmstead designed park, tasting drinks at the historic Pabst Brewery Complex, and so much more!

It isn't too late to register for the Rust Belt Takeover and to go on a preservation adventure with some of the best urban explorers you will ever meet.

Sarah Marsom
    Heritage Resource Consultant
    Tiny Activist Project
    me@sarahmarsom.com

• 3.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-01-2019 14:33
    Howdy from Wyoming! 

I work with the Alliance for Historic Wyoming, a statewide historic preservation non-profit.

This year, the Alliance for Historic Wyoming (AHW) partnered with twelve Historic Preservation Commissions throughout the state to celebrate local businesses across Wyoming who operate in historic buildings. 

It is a month to recognize the multitude of historic buildings that have been rehabilitated, repurposed and "working" throughout the state. Businesses and community organizations are celebrating across the state!

age and www.historicwyoming.org/historic-preservation-month.

Katherine Kasckow

• 4.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-02-2019 10:58
    Edited by Jenny Hay 05-02-2019 10:58
    I love reading what other communities are doing! Here in San Antonio we've got a FULL calendar of events. Tonight's the kick-off, with a birthday party for the Kress Building which turns 80 years old on May 18! Check out our website for more details: San Antonio Preservation Month 2019 - A celebration of culture and heritage!
    San Antonio Preservation Month 2019 - A celebration of culture and heritage! remove preview
    San Antonio Preservation Month 2019 - A celebration of culture and heritage!
    Our heritage and built environment has been shaped by many different cultures, ideas, and traditions, and our local programs provide support and recognition for historic sites representing a wide range of cultures and values.
    View this on San Antonio Preservation Month 2019 - A celebration of culture and heritage! >

jenny hay, PhD
    jenny.hay@sanantonio.gov

• 5.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-04-2019 19:32
    I think every month is preservation month for me, as I routinely do documentaries such as these :

(Gaston, NC) - Town Tour : Gastonia
    YouTube remove preview
    (Gaston, NC) - Town Tour : Gastonia
    May is Preservation Month. And what better way to kick it off than a documentary of a city with a lot of history ... To support preservation not just during Preservation Month but every month, visit : https://savingplaces.org/
    View this on YouTube >

and

(Jackson, NC) - Town Tour : Sylva
    YouTube remove preview
    (Jackson, NC) - Town Tour : Sylva
    I know some have been waiting for this one - a tour through and a documentary of the town of Sylva ...
    View this on YouTube >

Raymond Majewski
    Bryson City NC

• 6.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-07-2019 20:34
    Hello from Boston, everyone! I wish I could plan a road trip to go visit all these events!

We're celebrating a little differently, along the lines of suggestion no. 30. I'm part of a small cultural resources planning team, embedded in a large company of engineers, planners, scientists, and landscape architects. We love our co-workers, but too often we hear "oh, I didn't think to talk to you guys about this project because we didn't think there was anything historic." Or worse, "wait, we have a cultural resources team?"

So while we're celebrating with a series of company-wide articles highlighting topics like using historic tax credits to rehab public housing complexes, we also went interactive with a contest! We chose five vernacular buildings in the region, and our co-workers are guessing their construction dates (in 20-year increments). The idea is for people to think more about the things they see all the time, notice more about the properties near their project areas, realize that "historic" encompasses a lot more than they think, and advertise that a whole lot of stuff was built before 1969. Entries with 4-5 correct guesses are entered into a drawing for Red Sox tickets (hey, I said we're in Boston!), and 3 correct guesses enters you in a drawing for an Amex gift card.​

So far, we've witnessed some heated discussions around the contest poster, and yesterday I was walking by when the CEO pulled me over to ask why the mid-century ranch house on the poster was historic. We're declaring the contest a "win!"

I hope everyone has a blast with their programming!

Nicole Benjamin-Ma
    Senior Preservation Planner
    VHB

• 7.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-10-2019 08:08
    thumbnail image
    East Lilbourn High School, (a.k.a. Howardville High School, Howardville, MO, ) was listed to the National Historic Register on November 22, 2017, for Education and Black, graduating all black students from 1959 - 1968. THIS PLACE MATTERS.
    PICTURE COMING SOON!

L Vannessa Frazier
    Howardville MO

• 8.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-14-2019 18:09
    Edited by Kathryn Foster 05-14-2019 18:10
    Hello from Portland, Oregon!

I work for a company that makes window inserts which help historic homes and buildings keep their original windows in place. We put together a digital tour of homes throughout different eras of American history & different architectural styles - Colonial, Victorian, Prairie School - that have been saved by preservationists.

These are all buildings we've personally worked with and they have rich histories. It's really fun to see them all lined up and realize the culture and stories stored in these walls.

Historic Colonial Home with Indow Inserts

Historic Frank Lloyd Wright Prairie School Home with Indow Inserts
    Take a tour through all the homes and read about their history. Happy Preservation Month!

Kathryn Foster
    Indow
    Portland OR

• 9.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-14-2019 23:22
    I am an independent artist who is blessed with making my living by creating original paintings of historic homes and buildings and I have now created them in all 50 states.  I applied #22 for Preservation Month and held my own preservation event. A few years ago I decided to give back to the community as an artist and at the same time spread the word about preservation and established my own Leisa Collins Historic Preservation Award. The recognition is an original portrait of the restored project.   My laward event was held in Grand Rapids, Michigan, and  my latest historic hero was Mary Beth Grey.  After 21 years in medical practice she decided to follow her passion and started her own small construction firm to bring old historic homes back to their former glory.  In just over 2 years she has completed eight projects and her latest and most extensive has been the restoration of a faded Victorian in the Heritage Hill neighborhood -- which is hailed as the largest urban historic district in the country.  I gave the award on the recently opened up front porch of this home and we were joined by neighbors and preservation supporters. And here is a before and after view of the home.  A great way to spend a Sunday afternoon on a lovely spring day!

Leisa Collins
    Alexandria VA

• 10.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-16-2019 13:59
    I love seeing all these great projects ... I may be stealing some of these for upcoming events ( I think the guess the age of the building could get very heated!)

I just remembered earlier today that tomorrow, at least in DC, is Bike to Work Day. In DC there are pit stops all throughout the city and I usually gather some friends and colleagues to meet up (if you're in the area and are a cyclist, the Georgetown pit stop has great freebies!) After looking at the 31 List and seeing #22​ about the historic bike tours, we're going to turn our Bike to Work Day into a historic bike tour complete with #ThisPlaceMatters banners! It's a bit ad-hoc and mainly we'll be biking around Georgetown and the National Mall, but nice way to combine two events! I wish I would have put 2 and 2 together sooner and maybe I could have cooridinated better w. the folks who organize Bike to Work Day.​

Colleen

Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    Washington DC

• 11.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-16-2019 17:43

What a great idea the bike tour historic event is! Right now I am wishing I still lived in the DC area.
    Leisa 

• 12.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-16-2019 17:48
    Awesome Ideas

--

L Vannessa Frazier
    Executive Director
    Howardville Community Betterment
    Project Manager - City of Howardville - EPA Brownfield Cleanup Grant Award
    Robert Woods Johnson Foundation Culture of Health Leader - CoHort 1
    105 Howard Ave
    Howardville, Mo. 63869
    573-233-0926 - cell
    573-688-2137 - city hall - message
    573-688-5445 - fax
    newsonlydia@gmail.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication contains information intended for the use of the individuals to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from other disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any disclosure, printing, copying, distribution or use of the contents is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by returning it via email and then permanently delete the communication from your system. Thank you.

• 13.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-16-2019 18:09
    Hello from Anaheim, CA! Each year we celebrate our recent Mills Act class at a City Council ceremony during National Historic Preservation month. This past Tuesday we recognized 10 Anaheim families who restored their homes and agreed to maintain their historic integrity in exchange for a property tax adjustment (which typically results in a tax savings). Below is a photograph of this year's class, as well as a video of the homes, created by some of our talented staff!

https://youtu.be/8PdAMBkO3nY

For more information on the Mills Act program, you can visit our website: http://anaheim.net/748/Mills-Act-Program

Christine Nguyen
    Historic Preservation Planner
    City of Anaheim Planning & Building Dept.
    Anaheim, CA

• 14.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-21-2019 12:05
    The Georgia SHPO and the National Barn Alliance are partnering to host a photo contest! This year's contest theme is "Georgia's Agricultural Heritage" and the winner gets a year's membership to the National Barn Alliance.

Sarah Rogers
    CLG Coordinator
    Georgia Historic Preservation Division
    Stockbridge GA

• 15.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-30-2019 11:37
    The C&O Canal Trust announced yesterday that we will be opening our seventh Canal Quarters lockhouse next month! Swains Lockhouse 21, a historic lockhouse located at a popular entrance point to the C&O Canal National Historical Park in Potomac, MD, has been completed rehabilitated over the past three years. It will be furnished to depict the 1916 time period of the canal's history and beginning in July, will be available to guests for overnight stays.

There will be an open house Saturday, June 29 from 12 p.m. - 4 p.m.

More information: https://www.canaltrust.org/2019/05/newly-rehabilitated-swains-lockhouse-to-open-to-public-saturday-june-29-and-join-canal-quarters-program/

We unfortunately couldn't get the house open in time for Preservation Month, but I at least squeaked the announcement in before May ended!

Heidi Schlag
    Director of Marketing and Communications
    C&O Canal Trust
    Frederick MD

• 16.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-30-2019 12:02
    Heidi:
    The Announcement in May is Historic, Kudo's to you, I am sure there is more, more, more, to come. Prepare yourselves folks, What is the come, I am sure will be explosive in May, next year. I plan to visit.
    Thank you Heidi -
     You're Historic, too valuable to the community, just can't let you get away.

--

L Vannessa Frazier
    Executive Director
    Howardville Community Betterment
    Project Manager - City of Howardville - EPA Brownfield Cleanup Grant Award
    Robert Woods Johnson Foundation Culture of Health Leader - CoHort 1
    105 Howard Ave
    Howardville, Mo. 63869
    573-233-0926 - cell
    573-688-2137 - city hall - message
    573-688-5445 - fax
    newsonlydia@gmail.com

CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE: This communication contains information intended for the use of the individuals to whom it is addressed and may contain information that is privileged, confidential or exempt from other disclosure under applicable law. If you are not the intended recipient, you are notified that any disclosure, printing, copying, distribution or use of the contents is prohibited. If you have received this in error, please notify the sender immediately by telephone or by returning it via email and then permanently delete the communication from your system. Thank you.

• 17.  RE: Preservation Month--How are you celebrating?

Posted 05-30-2019 12:14
    @Heidi Schlag thanks for posting! I'm putting this on my calendar. I love the suggestion to park at Great Falls and then hike along the c/o trail. Great way to add to the open house!
    Colleen ​

Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    Washington DC