Forum Connect

Photogrammetry Software Recommendations

• 1.  Photogrammetry Software Recommendations

Posted 01-22-2021 12:35
    Edited by Joel Le Baron 01-22-2021 16:47
    Hi,

I'm looking for photogrammetry software and was wondering if anyone had any recommendations?

The focus would be on ground based recording of individual buildings, such as historic log cabins or small residential/commercial buildings.
    Although I'd like to be able to use drone captured images to survey taller structures and landscapes where our historic sites are undergoing riverbank and shorelines erosion.

Documentation is the primarily goal, but software with some basic comparative analysis would also be very useful; such as the ability to compare riverbank or shoreline data from year to year to monitor erosion, even at a very basic level. The ability to pull measurements from the models would also be useful, so perhaps something that can use ground control points or tie in points.

As this is our Unit's first foray into this type of documentation, and since none of us are programmers, something user friendly with minimal command-line-use is probably our best bet. So far I've been looking into, or testing, MeshRoom/Lab, Zephyr, Meta Shape and Reality Capture.

I realize there may not be software that does all of these things, or does all of these things well, but any advice or recommendations would be most appreciated.

Thanks...

- Joel

Joel Le Baron
    Historic Sites Project Officer
    Tourism and Culture | Historic Sites Unit
    Yukon Government

• 2.  RE: Photogrammetry Software Recommendations

Posted 7 days ago
    Hello Joel!

I saw that no one had responded to you but I was wondering if you had a chance to read through our Forum Journal from a few years back that looks at technology and documentation in preservation. While it's a few years old so there might be some new tools this might give you a good place to start. You can read the issue here: https://forum.savingplaces.org/viewdocument/forum-journal-technology-transform

Priya

------------------------------
    Priya Chhaya
    Forum Connect Community Manager

Associate Director of Content
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: Photogrammetry Software Recommendations

Posted 3 hours ago
    I purchased an iPad Pro 12 tablet, which has LiDAR scanning capabilities. The new iPhones have the same system. We are using it in combination with programs such as RoomScan and ScandyPro to create 3-D point clouds and photographs that can be converted into our Revit CAD files. Both programs have great YouTube videos. I believe you can set GPS coordinates when scanning, but you can set the coordinates in the CAD software as well. This will allow you to coordinate origin points with different surveying systems, including drone footage. (I haven't tried the drones yet.)

Brenda Rigdon
    Adrian MI