Forum Connect

Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

• 1.  Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 04-27-2020 09:14
      |   view attached
    ​We are currently in the midst of a nationwide pandemic that impacts all aspects of our lives. Many of us find ourselves working from our homes and away from the communities that we serve. It is important, perhaps more than before that we all find ways to stay connected with our families, colleagues, allies, partners and communities. We have put together a draft document regarding virtual community engagement and are asking for your help to finalize it.  This draft toolkit is meant to be a starting point for a broader discussion around ways for preservation partners and allies to more effectively use tools to virtually connect with target audiences.  Please review the attached document and join the discussion here on Forum Connect to add your ideas, successes and innovations

------------------------------
    Leslie Canaan, Senior Field Officer
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    lcanaan@savingplaces.org

Attachment(s)

• 2.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 04-27-2020 12:58
    I didn't see actual snail mail on the list; or things like public art/banners/site-specific installations (think love bombing buildings), which  is 1- way communication, but when creative speaks volumes

Mary Ruffin Hanbury
    Raleigh NC
    (919)828-1905

• 3.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 04-30-2020 14:28
    ​Thanks, Mary Ruffin.  A great reminder that in addition to new tech options, we still have old-school ways to send messages out in ways that can still be done, even with social distancing!

Amy Webb
    Denver CO

• 4.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 04-30-2020 17:57
    ​Kudos to Jim Lindberg and Anne Nelson who put together a blog post, Carrying On: Local Preservation through Virtual Meetings that went online  today! The blog post has some great  ideas and guidance for local commissions and also points to some resources from other organizations.

Check it out, and would love to hear about the experiences (good or bad) that other preservation organizations are having with virtual public meetings?

Amy Webb
    Denver CO

• 5.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-01-2020 08:49
    The encouragement to go virtual was very helpful.  We had a few things in the works already, but it became for of a strategic plan after reading the toolkit.  We are now putting out one virtual tour each week on Youtube, and we have a second series of how-tos going onto Youtube.

David Morrison
    Executive Director
    Historic Harrisburg Association
    Harrisburg PA

• 6.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-01-2020 12:20
    Thanks, David!  Would love to hear more about how your virtual tours and how-to series are going.  Are there links you can share?​

Amy Webb
    Denver CO

• 7.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-02-2020 21:06

The Historic Preservation Commission for the City of Meridian, Idaho; is doing virtual tours. Members of the commission are videoing  some of the locally historic properties and then posting them to our Facebook Meridian History  and Instagram meridianhistory pages

Blaine Johnston
    Meridian ID

• 8.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-03-2020 13:29
    Vancouver, Washington's Historic Trust has publicized existing virtual tours of some of the spaces it stewards, and has developed new content for social media. One series of educational posts was "introduced" by Sasquatch, the undisputed master of social distancing and our official state cryptid, who was shown (via action figure) roaming around our historic districts learning about local heritage. In another series of posts, several successful recent rehabilitation projects at Providence Academy, built in 1873, and the craftspeople who did them, are being highlighted to provide some good vibes and invite people to come tour in person when we can re-open the building. We also shared a series of posts on New Deal projects locally and in the northwest in general to highlight WPA-funded NCO housing in the West Barracks Historic District, nearby Federal Artists Projects murals in post offices, and Washington's Federal Writers Project guide, which has been turned into an app, "Revisiting Washington," by our statewide, the Washington Trust for Historic Preservation. The overall message is that preservation work continues, all our special places and spaces await our return to being safely mobile again, and the organization enthusiastically looks forward to welcoming everyone back in person.

Holly Chamberlain
    Director of Historic Preservation
    The Historic Trust
    Vancouver, WA

• 9.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-04-2020 12:10
    Great ideas Holly.  Thanks for sharing!

Diane Kane
    La Jolla CA

• 10.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-07-2020 08:52
    Edited by Priya Chhaya 05-07-2020 09:54
    Thanks all for these great responses!

@Holly Chamberlain. I love the idea of Sasquatch roaming around historic districts. Can you share links to the educational series?

@Blaine Johnston  I would love to see the tours. Is there a link you can share?

lcanaan@savingplaces.org

• 11.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

National Trust Advisor
    Posted 05-04-2020 13:29
    We are headquartered in Las Vegas and so do a good amount of heritage tourism. Our big event - Home + History - had been scheduled for April 17-19. It brings in about 800-900 people usually. We have rescheduled it tentatively for September. Over the original weekend, we launched History at Home with a series of free online events. The links will be available at least through September. We did walking tours of Las Vegas and Elko using Google Tour Creator, three well-known architectural historians recorded talks that we put on our brand new YouTube Channel, our archivist did a talk on her work on the Hugh Taylor archive, we also launched 2 new Hugh Taylor online exhibits and highlighted the 3D walkthroughs we have of some now demolished Desert Inn Estate homes designed by Taylor. Lastly, we used Netflix Party to watch Ferris Bueller's Day off. I hosted it and did a running commentary on the architecture in the movie using the chat box. We played Bueller Bingo and awarded prizes. We had over 300 people register for the weekend. Since we pulled all that off in a little over 3 weeks, we were pretty happy with it!

History at Home

Heidi Swank
    Nevada Preservation Foundation
    Las Vegas NV

• 12.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-07-2020 08:56
    Edited by Leslie Canaan 05-07-2020 09:05
    Thanks Heidi. History at Home looks great. I love the Netflix party idea it sound like fun.

lcanaan@savingplaces.org

• 13.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

This message was posted by a user wishing to remain anonymous
    Posted 05-07-2020 09:00
    This post was removed

• 14.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-04-2020 15:32
    Thank you for this helpful draft toolkit and to everyone who shared their activities. This is really helpful information and such great ideas. We are engaging with our  community by making personal phone calls to several of our longtime members and supporters to see how they are doing. We've increased our email communications from a monthly E-news to weekly updates launching Preservation Month profiles and stories taken from our 2020 preservation honor award recipient projects, virtual tours, preservation stories, grantee spotlights. Our Awards presentation and celebration was scheduled for May 15 and we are planning on taking it virtual so the questions in the toolkit and pros/cons section is very helpful. We are enhancing our heritage tourism offerings adding virtual tours and sharing this on social media and our blog as we do so. https://historichawaii.org/heritagetourism/ We were recognized as a virtual partner for a live encore lecture through Zoom about Hawaii woman suffragist Wilhelmine Dowsett (full disclosure--we helped created the winter 2020 lecture series on notable women in Hawaiian history but the the virtual event was really organized by our partner ;-)  You can view the replay here to see how it was presented.  https://youtu.be/UNDztOT1hIg Our goal now is to create a couple of live virtual events this month and next. Some ideas we've discussed include sharing existing original content  such as video replays of our storm  preparedness https://historichawaii.org/2019/07/26/resiliencyhistorichomes/ and greening measures for heritage home series  https://historichawaii.org/2018/02/14/greening/ adding a live element such as a welcome and Q&A. One of the challenges is that our members/supporters are on average older and not all are comfortable with online engagement which is one of the cons mentioned in your spreadsheet.  Thanks everyone!

Andrea Nandoskar
    Honolulu HI

• 15.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-05-2020 14:44

Hi Folks –

I was asked to share how the National Trust has adapted Preservation Month during the pandemic.  As many of you no doubt know, since 1973, May has been promoted to the general public as Preservation Month – a full 31 days to get out and celebrate the historic places that make up the fabric of our lives and our hometowns. However, given the sobering reality of social distancing and its inevitable continuation, that act of place-based celebration is now impossible. For May 2020, the National Trust has reimagined Preservation Month as "Virtual Preservation Month" to allow Americans a momentary escape from the realities that now confine us. Each week, a seven-day series of new virtual experience will be unlocked for followers, allowing them a welcome escape to historic places far and wide, including exclusive experiences that celebrate the beauty, history, and inspiration of National Trust Historic Sites, Historic Artists' Homes & Studio Sites, our portfolio of National Treasures, and other National Trust initiatives.

The first 7 Days of experiences are up now here; you can sign up for daily or weekly emails or text messages here too. Day 8-14 will come out this Friday, May 8.

The month includes a substantial amount of existing content from the National Trust's networks; later in the month we'll have more "live" or "virtual" events too. This year's Virtual Preservation Month came together quite quickly and we're hoping in future years to involve additional content from more our partners – so many great examples are being developed right now! We've been compiling public-facing resources on this page; personally, I'm partial to the "15 Free Historical Coloring Books and Pages to Download" piece. I'm happy to answer any questions people have about Virtual Preservation Month. I hope everyone is staying safe and healthy!
    Grant

Grant Stevens

• 16.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-06-2020 09:19
    Alas, I do not run Google Chrome on my Mac, so the virtual tours are not available to me...although I empathize with the concept of taking virtual tours while sheltering in my historic house in my historic neighborhood. Appreciate what you have and where you are in the moment!

Ilene Tyler FAIA, FAPT, LEED AP
    Ann Arbor MI

• 17.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-06-2020 10:26
    Hi Ilene -

I think the links should all work in Safari (I believe the most common default browser on Macs), but let me know if you continue to have problems.  We did hear from a few folks about how the ESRI program (Day 1 of Virtual Preservation Month - the Pope-Leighey House Tour) doesn't work on Internet Explorer. Hope all is well in Ann Arbor!

Grant

Grant Stevens

• 18.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-06-2020 11:01
    No, I linked to Google Earth, but with a message that I would need to use Google Chrome to see the tour...

Ilene Tyler FAIA, FAPT, LEED AP
    Ann Arbor MI

• 19.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-06-2020 11:18
    Ah ha - you're talking about Day 3 and Route 66!  Unfortunately, Google Earth doesn't work in all browsers. This Feb. 2020 article (https://www.theverge.com/2020/2/27/21155707/google-earth-firefox-edge-opera-support-webassembly-code-update-web-release) talks about that a bit, saying "Google is opening up its web-based version of Earth to browsers like Firefox, Edge, and Opera today." Sorry you're running into browser problems, but appreciate you following along during Virtual Preservation Month!

Grant Stevens

• 20.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-06-2020 10:53

Thanks Leslie, Amy, Tiffany, and other Trust colleagues for this great work. I have shared it with Dionne Baux at UrbanMain and with colleagues at Partners for Sacred Places - I think they will provide a unique perspective and some good feedback. Will be sure to share on Forum Connect. 

Jennifer

Jennifer Sandy
    Associate Field Director
    Chicago, Illinois

• 21.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-06-2020 20:58
      |   view attached
    [posting this again b/c the attachment to the previous one didn't include my comments]

Hi @Leslie Canaan - Thanks for doing this and for asking for feedback! I've attached the PDF with some specific comments, but here are a few general ones:

• It would be great to specifically acknowledge/address the lack of access some audiences may have to reliable, high-speed internet service (in addition to addressing the audience's age and comfort level).
    • Some examples would help define the type(s) of engagement this doc covers. This seems to emphasize the formal meetings that are part of public processes for entitlements, etc., which is crucial, though some readers might assume it includes general "engagement" to reach new audiences, build constituencies, etc. (through tools like virtual tours, IG stories, etc.).
    • This is probably assumed, but under the steps, I start with identifying/confirming the overall goal of the engagement, which largely determines the audience.

I hope this helps, for whatever it's worth. Please let me know if you have any questions. Thanks again for the sneak peek!

Best,
    Cindy

Cindy Olnick
    Communications consultant for historic places and preservation
    Los Angeles, CA
    cindyolnick.com

Attachment(s)

• 22.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-07-2020 09:16
    Cindy, thank you so much for the really helpful comments in the body of the draft and in your message. The issue regarding lack of access is especially important in many of the communities we work in. I completely agree with your suggestions and we will work to incorporate and revise. Thanks again.

lcanaan@savingplaces.org

• 23.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 05-07-2020 12:45
    So happy to help! Thanks again for creating this great resource.

Cindy Olnick
    Communications consultant for historic places and preservation
    Los Angeles, CA
    cindyolnick.com

• 24.  RE: Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit

Posted 08-18-2020 18:28
      |   view attached
    Many thanks to everyone for your good comments!  We've incorporated many of the suggestions in this thread into the Virtual Community Engagement Toolkit (which continues to be a work in progress).  Please continue to share your good ideas, and thanks for your suggestions.

Amy Webb
    Denver CO

Attachment(s)