Forum Connect

Gentrification Supported by Legal Aid Organization

• 1.  Gentrification Supported by Legal Aid Organization

Posted 16 days ago
    August 6, 2019
    I was not surprised on yesterday when an alleged legal aid entity refused to represent our nonprofit in defense
    of unjust property taxes in our historic district--by the way, under constant attacks from all directions. Reason: their data indicated not 51% of Freedman's Town population low income. I asked about this so-called data and given numerous excuses, none showing justice. Even the last census would support the disparity of my neighborhood. Sure, there are expensive lofts in our area now, but the bulk of the income population is low income: public housing units multifamily and single family, leased lofts to low to moderate income persons, scattered sites of low income indigenous homeowners, new apts. provide affordable housing also. Who there has approached the door-to-door as we? We reside in our neighborhood but no cares about our research and data. Once I eventually found out who funds this legal aid entity (Congress), I overstood why they wasted our time for two months to ultimately decline to help us.
    Who really cares about preserving Moor American heritage in Houston, Harris County, Texas? Not one elected official on any level.
    One of the reasons I am now a candidate for Houston city council is to fight injustice.

Peace Out.
    Gladys House-El
    Freedman's Town, Houston, Texas

------------------------------
    Gladys House
    Manager, Community Development Corp of Freedmen's Town
    Community Development Corp of Freedmen's Town
    Houston TX

• 2.  RE: Gentrification Supported by Legal Aid Organization

Posted 15 days ago
    Having worked closely with many government officials over the years, I am always glad to hear about preservation and arts/humanities friendly candidates for elected offices. That is the best way to cultivate change. Best of luck to you.

Starlyn D'Angelo
    Grants Manager
    Palace Theatre Performing Arts Center, Inc.
    Albany NY

• 3.  RE: Gentrification Supported by Legal Aid Organization

Posted 15 days ago
    During the six-year long campaign the National Trust fought to save the federal rehabilitation tax credit, we heard from anecdotally from many preservation-minded developers that it was a "housing first" strategy that led to the most successful historic tax credit projects that often were often twinned with the low-income housing tax credit (LIHTC) to preserve historic properties and prevent displacement of long-time residents.  Obviously, property taxes are the mothers milk of local government but there needs to be a balance between escalating property values that are driving the gentrification of our neighborhoods.  More recently, the city of Madison, Wisconsin issued a white paper that linked gentrification to development efforts that seek to push lower-income residents to the periphery of transportation nexus points that are often critical to residents accessing better job opportunities.  This is one of the first gentrification studies I've come across that has established this link and think it's worthy of further consideration by municipalities that are struggling to preserve their neighborhoods for a broad mix of income groups and diverse populations.  I would encourage all FORUM members to read this study at: 

https://madison.com/ct/news/local/govt-and-politics/is-your-neighborhood-gentrified-madison-report-identifies-areas-of-displacement/article_d935a2db-cd15-50a1-a18c-a869b48e6a8f.html#utm_source=madison.com&utm_campaign=%2Femail-updates%2Fcaptimes-news&utm_medium=PostUp&utm_content=fd8c3c6070a3285809f07222b4a79626b0c0dac4

Hopefully, these efforts in Madison and elsewhere will end gentrification on a large scale and recognize that good public policy can be the bulwark to defend historic neighborhoods that are undergoing development pressures and rapid changes in population.

Carl Wolf
    Alexandria VA
    (703)751-8683

• 4.  RE: Gentrification Supported by Legal Aid Organization

Ambassador
    Posted 13 days ago
    Carl,

Thanks for sharing the study from Madison. As a transit rider in a metro area still overly dependent upon automobiles, I'm especially interested in seeing connections to displacement along transit lines. The Green Line LRT opened between Minneapolis and Saint Paul five years ago and it continues to attract development along it, seemingly displacing both businesses and residents. Although I know a number of studies about the connections between gentrification and transit were done prior to the LRT opening, I think I'll need to do some digging to see if follow-ups have occurred or are underway. It would also be interesting to see how the transit system as a whole evolves to address displacement. That, I suppose, is another white paper to come.

Barbara

Barbara Howard
    Stonebridge Learning, LLC
    Minneapolis MN

• 5.  RE: Gentrification Supported by Legal Aid Organization

Ambassador
    Posted 13 days ago
    Gladys,

I'm so sorry your time was wasted with this entity and hope you can find another to help your nonprofit. I echo Starlyn's encouragement in running for office. Your passion suggests you are well-suited to represent your community's concerns. I, too, wish you the best of luck!

Barbara

Barbara Howard
    Stonebridge Learning, LLC
    Minneapolis MN