Forum Connect

Museum Signage

• 1.  Museum Signage

Posted 03-09-2018 12:11
    I am marketing chair for our Friends of the Museum organization (a North Carolina regional museum). We are developing a proposal for a LED sign to communicate and inform what exhibits, events, etc. are happening at the museum. The proposal is for the sign to be placed on our front lawn at an intersection that has a 14,000 traffic count per day. I have reviewed local sign ordinances and we are in compliance.  We are seeking guidelines for such signage. Thus far, I have found no guidelines other than "it should be in good taste and appropriate". Feedback and suggestions are sought and appreciated.
    Thanks, Joe Barrett

------------------------------
    Joe Barrett
    Chair of Marketing
    Friends of the Museum of the Albemarle
    Elizabeth City, NC

• 2.  RE: Museum Signage

Posted 03-12-2018 10:57
    My thought would be that what appears on your LED sign should be closely similar to what you post on Face Book or Instagram as a museum. Museums are using Face Book, Twitter and Instagram as new places to challenge people and share their collections and exhibits. All of these things should be coordinated to present a consistent message. I would look at what other museums are doing in these areas and adapt what your have to follow that path.

• 3.  RE: Museum Signage

Posted 03-14-2018 09:29

Here's a sign along those lines that my predecessor here approved at a church. The final design is much better than the rendering, but the full color display and motion included in it are really a glaring contrast to the church and the surrounding historic district. My recommendation would be: 1) Never do anything with motion on it, 2) image changes no more frequent than every five seconds, and 3) seriously consider going single color. https://milwaukee.legistar.com/LegislationDetail.aspx?ID=1472567&GUID=6AA88A04-B40E-49BC-A77E-2B622302BE50&Options=Text|&Search=anthony+certificate+mitchell

Google shot of the end result. I'm really not a fan, but the stonework was executed well at least. https://goo.gl/maps/x1Z6LEm3Rh72

Timothy Askin
    Milwaukee Historic Preservation Commission
    Milwaukee WI

• 4.  RE: Museum Signage

Posted 03-14-2018 10:41
    We are envisioning sign with 3 lines of type, which would be large enough to be read (easily) by motorists, would list the events and exhibits at the museum, in small pixel size which increases the definition and increases the ease of reading. I envisioned these being changed only with new events/exhibits but we should probably change more often to highlight the various exhibits and events being held. While the sign can be programmed to do pictures, this would be the exception. Thanks for the comments and guidance. Joe(Hilton) Barrett

Joe Barrett
    Chair of Marketing
    Friends of the Museum of the Albemarle
    Camden NC