Forum Connect

Leadership tips for emerging professionals

• 1.  Leadership tips for emerging professionals

Posted 03-06-2018 16:00

Hi All,

I've just finished taking a few professional leadership courses through ARCUS. ARCUS is "a leadership academy offering an array of course in leadership theory and practice tailored to the specific challenges facing leaders in the [historic preservation and cultural heritage] field."

The ARCUS courses are great (and I'd encourage anyone interested to look into them), but they've also inspired me to ask you all: What leadership tips would you offer emerging professionals? (Note: emerging professional, as referenced here, can include: a person who just graduated from school, mid-career professionals who want to use innovative techniques to solve a problem in the field, people starting their own firms, etc.)

Also, if you've taken some of the ARCUS courses, what were some of your favorite courses and what was one of the most valuable lessons you learned about leadership and why?

Looking forward to the discussion,

------------------------------
    Jamesha Gibson

• 2.  RE: Leadership tips for emerging professionals

Posted 03-08-2018 16:47
    No ARCUS courses for me, but a few others through other organizations. I realize this will make me sound like an old curmudgeon, but so be it. My advice to new leaders in the historic preservation field, or any other for that matter, would be to not assume that the new theories and practices you learn in graduate programs automatically make your opinions superior to those of existing practitioners. They may or may not. I will always remember a young woman with a fresh PhD. in a new leadership position in a large public organization where I worked who was tasked with selling a major programmatic change to the rank and file. The consensus of those of us who would implement the change was that it was a bad idea. She was offended by our opposition and took it as the old guard being opposed to new ways of doing things. Even though we thought the change would be detrimental, our department was comprised of professionals and we agreed to try to implement it the best we could. But this was not good enough; it was obvious that our lack of enthusiasm offended her. She thought we were wedded to old ideas. We thought she was embracing new ideas with no discernment of good from bad. Unfortunately, as often happened in the public sector, funding for the program was cut before we could see who was right.

Jim Sparks
    SparksArchitecture.com
    Glasgow KY

• 3.  RE: Leadership tips for emerging professionals

Posted 03-13-2018 12:40
    Hello,
    I'm in the process of developing a strategic plan for the renovation and preservation of an art environment constructed by Dr. Charles Smith that has been neglected for some years. We are located in the city of Aurora. Site is incorporated as African American Heritage Museum and Back Veterans Archives. I'm open for advice or suggestions to move this project forward....

Thanks, 

--
    Ricky Rodgers
    Executive Director
    AAMOU
    30 S. Stolp Ave. Suite 311
    Aurora, IL. 60506
    P: 630 606-1910