Forum Connect

Preservation Resolutions: How will you use your preservation power for good in 2021?

• 1.  Preservation Resolutions: How will you use your preservation power for good in 2021?

Posted 12-23-2020 09:22
    Edited by Priya Chhaya 24 days ago

While we have almost a full week left in the year, I wanted to share with you the first of two posts we're sharing on Preservation Leadership Forum to mark the passage of this very challenging year.

As in years past (though we did skip a look back on 2019) this list pulls out stories, webinars, and other content and resources from the closing year while also considering the year to come. 

Realistically we know that flipping the calendar from 2020 to 2021 won't erase all of the trauma and exhaustion we have experienced, but it does provide a sort of mental break, an opportunity so to speak,  for us all to reflect on both our personal and professional lives. 

So my question(s) for the community are: 

What is your preservation resolution for 2021? Or if that is too broad a question, one is the first thing you will do to transform your preservation practice-in light of lessons learned from this past year-in 2021? 

Another way you could think about it is how will use your power as preservationists for good this year? 

I'll post my answer on January 4 but for now share away, and read this post from  @Marisa Brown about her resolutions for the field. (I'll put the link in here when it is live). 

Note: If you haven't yet, take part in the PennPraxis survey. This 10-minute survey explores the makeup of the historic preservation field and how it is changing in light of contemporary issues. The survey is a project of PennPraxis, supported by the 1772 Foundation. Results will be shared in publications available on the PennPraxis website. (For more information, contact rfmason[at]design.upenn.edu.) The survey closes in mid-January.  

------------------------------
    Priya Chhaya
    Forum Connect Community Manager

Associate Director of Content
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Preservation Resolutions: How will you use your preservation power for good in 2021?

Posted 12 days ago
    We're now on the second week of the new year and I thought I would drop in and share my "resolutions" for the year - and to encourage you all to share your own as well.

Despite me asking the question above, I came into the year eschewing the traditional "resolution" making practice and instead have chosen to focus in on an intention. As a public historian, I deeply feel that my work is a practice regardless of where I do the work. Especially in light of the events last week, I believe my role as a preservationist and a historian is more important that ever. So my intention for the year is to focus as much of my practice to telling the full story and engaging with some of the tougher systems of our field. I know I personally am not going to have the answers but I want to support you, the preservation community, in continuing the journey from last spring.

In terms of the first concrete thing I am doing? Is reading through some of the great anti-racist resources pulled together by  Columbia.

I hope you'll share what your intentions and resolutions are for the year (or even, the next month!)

Priya

Priya Chhaya

Washington DC

• 3.  RE: Preservation Resolutions: How will you use your preservation power for good in 2021?

Posted 11 days ago
    Thanks for this valuable resource. Presevation needs to zealously address white privilege. Let's also celebrate the impressive strides already made recently in designating and interpreting sites of importance to African American, Latinx, Women's and LGBTQ history.

Peter Byrne
    Baumgartner Chair in Real Property Law
    Georgetown University
    Washington, DC

• 4.  RE: Preservation Resolutions: How will you use your preservation power for good in 2021?

Posted yesterday
    @Peter Byrne Thanks for sharing your thoughts and glad you found the resource useful. Would you be willing to share how your work at Georgetown will address/celebrate this? What are some things that you think other university programs in preservation could put in place to make a change?  ​

Priya Chhaya

Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Preservation Resolutions: How will you use your preservation power for good in 2021?

Posted 12 hours ago
      |   view attached
    Thank you for asking. No serious legal or policy workin preservation can be perfomred now without conisdering how privilege distorts our public presentations  of history. As Mayor's Agent Hearing Officer for Historic Preservation in Washington, DC, I adjudicate applications to demolish or alter protcted buildings when necessary to construct projects of extraordinary public benefit, such as significant subsidized housing. As a law professor at Georgetown University, I have several projects in view: Sara Bronin and I are revising our casebook, Historic Preservation Law, to include, aong other matters, how designation criteria and the Secretary's Standards burden preserving sites that  convey the histories of marginalized people, but also higlighting innovative approaches. I will publish a little paper assessing the legal issues surrounding the controversy over the Emancipation Statue in Lincoln Park, in Washington, DC, a draft of which I am happy to attach here for any comments.  Also, I expect to have my sympathies broadened through teaching virtually a seminar on cultrual heritage law to law students from seven universites in seven differnt countries.

Peter Byrne
    Baumgartner Chair in Real Property Law
    Georgetown University
    Washington, DC

Attachment(s)

docx
    Lincoln statue.docx   29 KB 1 version

• 6.  RE: Preservation Resolutions: How will you use your preservation power for good in 2021?

Posted 11 days ago
    Edited by Raina Regan 11 days ago

@Priya Chhaya, I appreciate you framing this as 'how do we use our preservation power for good'? I recently read this piece by Sarah Stickney Murphy posted by Community Centric Fundraising that I think resonated with me about how I can use my preservation power for good.
    https://communitycentricfundraising.org/2020/11/12/white-people-we-need-to-do-more-than-just-leverage-whiteness-to-dismantle-white-supremacy/

I've reflected on this article as a white woman working for a nonprofit, acknowledging the power I do have and can give up. I want to use that framework in my decision-making in 2021. When presented with an opportunity or a decision, what power can I give up and cede to BIPOC preservationists?  

Along those lines, I want to continue to practice mindfulness in my work. This means being more mindful about how I interpret others words and actions, but also be mindful of how my words and actions can be interpreted by others.

​​

Raina Regan (she/her/hers)
    Director, Easement Program
    Washington, DC

• 7.  RE: Preservation Resolutions: How will you use your preservation power for good in 2021?

Posted yesterday
    @Raina Regan this is great! I love that it is concrete, and achievable but also recognizes an individual action that we can take. That's the part I struggled with almost all of last year, just how VAST the problem is, obviously there are individuals who have been doing the work for years but since we know how important place and preservation are, making sure that individuals are able to tell their own stories and work on saving their own places as preservationists is important.  ​

Priya Chhaya

Washington DC