Forum Connect

Historic Places Walking / Driving Tours

• 1.  Historic Places Walking / Driving Tours

Posted 06-26-2020 13:05
    Hi! We are developing a number of self-guided tours of historic structures that will be available via a mapping solution and possible a digital publication. I am curious as how other organizations are handling the issue of whether to inform property owners that their property is being included in a tour - where the tour is created with publicly available information and the structure is viewable from the public road. Do you notify owners? If yes, do you use an opt-out or opt-approach to inclusion and how do you hand notification to owners - personal letter, notice in a local publication, a news release, or other approach?  Interested in hearing your thoughts as we put together our go-to-market strategy.
    Thanks!,
    ali

Programs & Real Estate Director
    Maine Preservation

------------------------------
    Ali Barrionuevo
    Real Estate Manager
    Maine Preservation
    Yarmouth ME

• 2.  RE: Historic Places Walking / Driving Tours

Posted 06-27-2020 10:05
    Hello. We are planning something similar for our Candlelight Tour in December. We are going to mail a letter to homeowners asking to participate by decorating the outside of their houses. They can opt in or out. We will also ask if they'd be willing to donate to our organization. I don't think it would be a problem to add historic structures to a walking tour without asking because it'd probably be considered public domain, but I think it is a courtesy so when people see small groups standing outside their home they aren't surprised. Plus, I think it gives you positive publicity to involve the community in this way. Hope this helps.

Sandra Erickson
    Director of Operations
    Historic Fredericksburg Foundation, Inc.

Sandra Erickson
    Director of Operations
    Historic Fredericksburg Foundation
    Fredericksburg VA

• 3.  RE: Historic Places Walking / Driving Tours

National Trust Advisor
    Posted 06-29-2020 12:18
    We alert neighborhoods when we are going to be doing tours in their area. With our digital offerings we don't notify homeowners mainly because all images are from the public right of way and no one will be stopping in front of their house. We generally don't give out exact addresses if the tour is being viewed virtually, though we might say something like "the 500 block of Ellen Way." If we are planning to talk about an owner who is currently living in the home, instead of a historical figure, we will reach out and give them the option to not be part of the interpretive materials.

I like Sandra's idea of sending out a letter to homeowners in order to get more visibility and solicit a donation. Would be fun to include a little detail or two on their specific home, too!

Heidi Swank
    Nevada Preservation Foundation
    Las Vegas NV

• 4.  RE: Historic Places Walking / Driving Tours

Posted 06-30-2020 12:51
    Thanks for the feedback folks!

Ali Barrionuevo
    Real Estate Manager
    Maine Preservation