Forum Connect

Barn -- exterior insulation

• 1.  Barn -- exterior insulation

Posted 02-28-2019 09:14
    Hi,

Does anyone have knowledge of or experience with insulating a historic barn from the outside? By this I mean keeping the interior intact, and removing the exterior sheathing (clapboards likely) to apply insulation then adding in-kind sheathing back again? I am looking for examples where this has been done successfully and complied with the Secretary of the Interior’s Standards for Rehabilitation. I have heard of the Weir Barn in Connecticut and would love to talk to someone a bit more about that project or similar ones.

Thanks.

Meg Campbell
    Preservation Trust of Vermont
    99 Furnace Grove Road
    Bennington, VT 05201
    (802) 442-8951
    meg@ptvermont.org

• 2.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Ambassador
    Posted 02-28-2019 10:33
    Try contacting the Washington State Heritage Barn program https://dahp.wa.gov/historic-registers/heritage-barn-register

------------------------------
    Tim Askin
    Milwaukee Historic Preservation Commission
    Milwaukee WI

• 3.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Posted 03-05-2019 13:28
    Thank you. This is helpful.

Meg Campbell
    99 Furnace Grove Road
    Bennington, VT 05201
    (802) 442-8951
    meg@ptvermont.org

• 4.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Posted 02-28-2019 12:06
    Hmmm...

a few variables would determine course of action...

is it stick frame or joinery?

for most barns I'm familiar with: the "sheeting" is also the siding if it's a stick frame likely you have diagonal sheeting, or internal bracing to keep the frame straight...  and removing it from more than one side will require the frame to be braced heavily...

what is the intent here?

Kurtis Hord: Architectural design / Lime putty masonry / Pattern making / European guild-influenced roofing
    tradroofing.com / (412) 228-0241
    all honor to god / the meek and humble shall inherit the earth

• 5.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Posted 02-28-2019 13:24
    It's a post and beam barn we are reviewing. But I am not really looking to get into construction details, simply to find examples of barns that have been successfully insulated from the outside while keeping the interior framing and finishes intact.

Meg Campbell
    Easement Program Director
    Bennington VT

• 6.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Posted 02-28-2019 16:58

Ok there's the rub..   the language is too general.

typically a "barn" is a frame, and then "siding" or sheeting and nothing else.  One layer.  Be it vertical board n batten, lap siding, or flush sheeting.  This means from the inside: (the area you want to remain unfinished) you are looking at the back of the "siding" and nothing more.

This is where it gets confusing.   If you for example remove the one layer wall material: you are left with a bare frame..  if you then install rigid insulation and put the siding on top of that: you are looking at rigid ISO now on the inside unless you fill the bays with t&g or some other material...

Just trying to visualize it to understand how to inform...

Kurtis Hord: Architectural design / Lime putty masonry / Pattern making / European guild-influenced roofing
    tradroofing.com / (412) 228-0241
    all honor to god / the meek and humble shall inherit the earth

• 7.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Posted 03-05-2019 13:29
    We are reviewing a $2 million barn retrofit. There are several architects, builders and a project developer on the job. Our Easement Review Committee consists of nine preservation professionals. We are in consultation with two others, each of whom manages review for two different state programs.

My charge here now is not to analyze the specifics of this design, but to take a look at the regulatory review process for other vaguely similar adaptive reuse projects. At the most basic level, I am interested in speaking with someone who has been part of a retrofit that involved prioritizing the interior restoration, insulating from the exterior, and replacing some (or all) of the exterior wall covering (clapboards in this case) and roofing material (slates in this case). And yes, I am aware that this will affect architectural details, the bulk (3” on each facade in this case), and height (6" in this case) of the building.

Specifically I am interested in learning if such projects were required to comply with local, regional or state design or regulatory review standards, whether the project was a RITC project and when the NPS approved it, what modifications were required in order to achieve approval, etc. If the project was approved, I’m interested in knowing more details and potential mitigation that was required. While I feel certain that I won’t find an exact duplicate of this project, I feel confident that there are other projects out there that could be of value to our committee as we review this project.

So while I am aware of, concerned about, and interested in the details of the construction, for the purposes of this forum and this particular query, I am interested in finding examples of barn renovations where the interior was retained and the barn was insulated from the exterior, and having a conversation with a project manager that is knowledgeable about the full scope of the project. I’m limiting my inquiry to US projects since the regulatory review is quite different in Europe. I am more interested in buildings that are nonprofit or publicly owned and used for community purposes. I am most interested in barns, but any building that was designed to be uninsulated may be illuminating (a garage, a factory, a warehouse, a cabin, etc.). I’m not interested in private homes in which there was no regulatory review.

I am aware that the people who subscribe to this forum may no of no such buildings where this has been done, and that is telling in its own right. But because I am not familiar with every barn in every state, I have no way of knowing until I ask the question.

Thank you.

Meg Campbell
    99 Furnace Grove Road
    Bennington, VT 05201
    (802) 442-8951
    meg@ptvermont.org

• 8.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Posted 03-01-2019 09:38
    I am not sure that insulating a wood-frame building from the outside can comply with the Secretary's Standards -- because it would involve rebuilding the entire exterior envelope of the building and thickening the walls that would change its relationship to the eaves, foundation, window reveals, etc.  This is what Preservation Brief 3 (Improving Energy Efficiency in Historic Buildings) has to say about it: "Adding rigid foam insulation to the exterior face of wood-frame buildings, while common practice in new construction, is never an appropriate treatment for historic buildings. Exterior installation of the foam boards requires removal of the existing siding and trim to install one or more layers of polyisocyanurate or polystyrene foam panels. Depending on the amount of insulation added for the particular climate, the wall thickness may be dramatically increased by moving the siding as much as 4 inches out from the sheathing. Even if the historic siding and trim could be removed and reapplied without significant damage, the historic relationship of windows to walls, walls to eaves, and eaves to roof would be altered, which would compromise the architectural integrity and appearance of the historic building."

George Born
    Land and Community Heritage
    Concord NH

• 9.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Thank you.

Meg Campbell
    99 Furnace Grove Road
    Bennington, VT 05201
    (802) 442-8951
    meg@ptvermont.org

• 10.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Posted 03-01-2019 11:24
    Several states have statewide barn preservation organizations and there is a nationwide group- National Barn Alliance, Friends of Ohio Barns, Michigan Barn Preservation Network, Iowa Barn Foundation, Kansas Barn Alliance, Historic Barn and Farm Foundation of Pennsylvania, Historic Barn of Connecticut, Friends of Minnesota Barns, New York State Barn Coalition, and my very personal favorite, the Indiana Barn Foundation. (If anyone knows of another barn organization please let me know.) All of the organizations have websites so you might want to try connecting directly with them, many of whom also work closely with their statewide HP organization, historical society, and/or SHPO.

I know here in Indiana there have been some great reuse projects. One such project is similar to what you are looking for, the barn at the Wylie House Museum owned and operated by Indiana University Libraries. The director is Carey Beam, crbeam@indiana.edu I'm certain the project wasn't involved with federal tax credits but it likely would have passed muster. A couple of the other Indiana Barn Foundation board members would likely be able to name some projects in our state, however.

Danielle Bachant-Bell
    Lord and Bach Historic Preservation Consulting
    605 W. Allen St.
    Bloomington, IN 47403
    812-336-6141 H/ 812-360-6544 C
    lordandbach@gmail.com

Member, Monroe County Historic Preservation Board of Review 
    Find us at www.facebook.com/MCHPB

Monroe County Representative, Statewide County Representative Coordinator, and Board Member, Indiana Barn Foundation 
    Find us at www.facebook.com/MonroeCountyBarns and www.facebook.com/IndianaBarns or online at www.indianabarns.org 

• 11.  RE: Barn -- exterior insulation

Thank you. This is very helpful.

Meg Campbell
    99 Furnace Grove Road
    Bennington, VT 05201
    (802) 442-8951
    meg@ptvermont.org