Forum Connect

Looking for international preservation inspirations

• 1.  Looking for international preservation inspirations

Ambassador
    Posted 12 days ago
    This week I've been following the great information coming out of the Sea Change Conference in Blackpool, England, some of which is obviously applicable to climate heritage initiatives in the U.S. Despite the wonders of modern technology and social media, I still feel like I simply cannot keep up with all of the great preservation and cultural heritage work that is happening around the world. And unfortunately, the truly great work often gets lost in the cacophony of social media. Since I'm always looking for new tools in my preservation toolbox, I want to know what is working elsewhere to see whether it can be adapted to my work in Minnesota and throughout the U.S. So, which international preservation news and information feeds do you follow for preservation topics? Where do you find true international inspiration for your preservation and cultural heritage work?

Barbara

------------------------------
    Barbara Howard
    Stonebridge Learning, LLC
    Minneapolis MN

• 2.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Posted 12 days ago
    Hi Barbara, These online sources may be of interest:

The Getty Conservation Institute not only has a list of external resources, but also publishes many of its own reports and case studies for free online, which range from material conservation to heritage management best practices around the world.
    www.getty.edu/conservation/publications_resources/

You may also be interested in the work of the Climate Heritage Network, which is international in membership:
    (http://climateheritage.org/)

Facebook pages of IUCN (www.facebook.com/iucn.org/) and ICOMOS (www.facebook.com/ICOMOSinternational/)

World Monuments Fund sends around a weekly email newsletter highlighting its heritage conservation work in the US and abroad while emails from Global Heritage Fund are less frequent but equally interesting.

Cheers!

Jesse Lattig
    Senior Field Officer
    National Trust
    Los Angeles CA

• 3.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Ambassador
    Posted 12 days ago
    These are all great suggestions, Jesse! The Getty, ICOMOS, and WMF have always been a good source for global information. I love that ICOMOS also has region-specific social media feeds to follow and the Global Heritage Fund focuses on community along with historic preservation. The Climate Heritage Network is an exciting new coalition (following their social media clued me in to WMF's Sea Change Conference). I wasn't familiar with International Union on the Conservation of Nature, however, so that's one I'll definitely be adding to my list! Thanks!

Barbara

Barbara Howard
    Minneapolis MN

• 4.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Posted 11 days ago
    I like the narrative and mission of the Climate Heritage Network, but it seems their membership is for agencies and organizations, not individuals. Has anyone had any experience with the group?

Their web site describes membership this way: The CHN will "Be a voluntary membership organization made up of local and city, state/provincial and regional, indigenous and tribal, and national arts, culture and heritage governmental and quasi-governmental boards, offices, ministries and site management agencies as well as NGOs, universities, businesses and other organizations. 

Ilene Tyler FAIA, FAPT, LEED AP
    Ann Arbor MI

• 5.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Posted 10 days ago
    The Climate Heritage Network is a relatively new organization. It grew out of a conference held in San Francisco organized by Andrew Potts, former lead of the ICOMOS working group on implementation of the Sustainable Development Goals and Julie Polanco, the California SHPO. Both are now leaders of the Climate Heritage Network, which is holding its International launch in Edinburgh in October. So great cause lead by great people who understand that sizable risk to heritage resources as a result of climate change.  Climate Heritage Network Global Launch
    Eventbrite remove preview
    Climate Heritage Network Global Launch
    The Climate Heritage Network Global Launch is a two-day program devoted to urgently mobilizing the cultural heritage sector for climate action across the globe. The program will serve as a key catalyst for accelerating the ambition of arts, culture and heritage actors to help the communities they work in to deliver on ambitions of the Paris Agreement.
    View this on Eventbrite >

Donovan Rypkema
    Washington DC
    (202)588-6258

• 6.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Posted 9 days ago
    I agree, Donovan! Excellent leadership and mission. I can't attend their launch, not sure they'd want me, but I do look forward to action and statements to come from the event and from this group.

I believe Andrew Potts will be moderating the Climate Change Symposium in November at APT Miami.

Ilene Tyler FAIA, FAPT, LEED AP
    Ann Arbor MI

• 7.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Posted 10 days ago
    Hi Barbara -- I really admire the Twentieth Century Society in London. They do great advocacy work (lately, a lot on Brutalism), as well as a range of publications for different audiences, which helps legitimize resources and elevate the conversation.

Best,
    Cindy

Cindy Olnick
    Los Angeles CA

• 8.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Ambassador
    Posted 9 days ago
    Cindy, thanks for the note on the Twentieth Century Society. I've come across some of their publications in the past, but have not followed them on social media. I'll be adding them to my lists!

Barbara

Barbara Howard
    Minneapolis MN

• 9.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Posted 8 days ago
    In San Antonio, we have been looking at innovative international (and national) sources for actionable strategies and tools to preserve cultural heritage. We just held our third annual Living Heritage Symposium last week which included a Climate Heritage session. The symposium is especially focused on equity, inclusion and traditional knowledge. Through three years of symposia we have heard from colleagues in Australia, Peru, Turkey, Ecuador, Mexico, and Hong Kong. But innovative work is being done here in the States as well, including San Francisco, New York, and Chicago. Check out our website for videos, presentations and action plans. We will update it soon with content from this year's symposium. https://www.sanantonio.gov/historic/LivingHeritage/Symposium

Claudia Guerra
    San Antonio TX

• 10.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Posted 7 days ago
    Check out the Ohlone-Portol'a Heritage Trail in San Mateo County:  https://parks.smcgov.org/ohlone-portol%C3%A1-heritage-trail-project  This trail interprets 10,000 years of Ohlone history and the historic Spanish Gaspar de Portol'a expedition that involved the first sighting of the San Francisco Bay and led to the future European colonization of California.  In fact this first sighting was the catalyst for things to come.  The 250th anniversary of the Portol'a expedition is 11/4/2019.  This is a trail that could be extended down the coast of California to Baja Mexico, and would complete gaps in the California Coastal Trail, and recognize and interpret California Native Americans tribes.  Now that there is a California a Truth and Reconciliation effort underway between the State of California and California tribes so this is a real opportunity.  Here is a link to a recent Open Roads TV show about the trail:   https://www.nbcbayarea.com/news/local/Ohlone-Portola-Heritage-Trail-508192971.html

Sam Herzberg
    Senior Planner, AICP
    San Mateo County Parks Department
    Redwood City CA

• 11.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Posted 7 days ago
    We partnered w. @Claudia Guerra on doing the livestreaming at the Living Heritage Symposium and definitely recommend the video she mentioned! I was going through some of our recorded programs based on your post and was curious to see when we brought an international presence to the discussion. In 2016 during the TrustLive: Places we had the director of the National Trust for Wales, and it was interesting to hear his take on relevance in historic places from an international perspective.​
    And, as mentioned above, the US/ICOMOS programming at last year's PastForward conference included TrustLive: Culture-Nature connection w a representative from the International Union for Conservation of Nature. I find the TrustLives to be quite inspirational by bringing in various perspectives ... I love the idea of bringing in more international perspectives (webinars might be the better way to go about it so travel isn't too pricey!!)
    thanks,
    Colleen

Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 12.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Posted 7 days ago
    Hi Barbara,

For  a connection to international heritage practice -  do follow  US ICOMOS. This DC based organization promotes the conservation of world heritage and a stronger connections to the global heritage community through advocacy, education, and the international exchange of people and ideas.

US ICOMOS.has a Facebook page and a quarterly  Newsletter that feature the latest in international conservation. Do look for information on their upcoming Symposium on the "Economic and Social Benefits of World Heritage in the USA" November 8-9 in Washington DC.

Glad you raised this issue!

Brenda Barrett
    Harrisburg PA
    (717)574-0736

• 13.  RE: Looking for international preservation inspirations

Ambassador
    Posted yesterday
    @Claudia Guerra, I was somewhat aware of the Living Heritage Symposium (probably from seeing something on the National Trust's social media accounts), but somehow missed the role of your HPC making it happen! I serve on a commission in Minneapolis and have been looking for ways we can be more proactive, so I'll definitely be bringing this up at our next retreat! @Colleen Danz, I remember that TrustLive in Houston, but completely forgot I could access it again on YouTube, and I'll definitely check out last year's video, too! @Sam Herzberg, I appreciate you clueing us into the heritage trail--the multimodal and multicultural aspects are to be commended and I would love to see others using the trail for inspiration. I know I took notes as I was looking through the trail's website earlier this summer. And, @Brenda Barrett, I'm definitely following ICOMOS (several of their accounts, actually). They are a wealth of information!

I appreciate everyone sharing their inspirations. I fear that we become so ensconced in our own local preservation battles that we miss the forest for the trees. Thanks everyone!

Barbara​

Barbara Howard
    Minneapolis MN