Forum Connect

RFP for HSR?

• 1.  RFP for HSR?

Posted 10-22-2020 14:00
    Edited by Jennifer Robinson 10-22-2020 14:01
    I'm preparing to start an RFP for an HSR for a small house museum here in Philly, and I've never written an RFP before. Does anyone have an example for an RFP for HSR either that you've prepared or responded to that you felt was particularly well written and addressed your questions?

Where would you suggest I post this once it's ready?

Thanks!

------------------------------
    Jennifer Robinson
    jrobinson@preservationalliance.com

• 2.  RE: RFP for HSR?

Posted 10-23-2020 08:38
    Hi Jennifer - I don't have an RFP at hand but my advice is to define the scope of work for what the site needs to get out of the HSR. If someone were to follow the NPS Preservation Brief on HSRs literally, that could easily be a $100k effort which most likely overkill and may not even get at the site's real needs. I'd structure the RFP around the table of contents and go section by section, stating what work has already been done, and how much of the work is consolidating previous studies vs what new historical research and/or assessment Is required. Beyond the Preservation Brief, here's another excellent resource: http://npshistory.com/newsletters/crm/bulletin-v13n4.pdf

Shawn Evans
    Santa Fe NM

• 3.  RE: RFP for HSR?

Posted 10-24-2020 11:14
    Hi Jennifer,

Full HSR’s can be expensive as Shawn says. And I do recommend that you go to the NPS
    Preservation Brief #43 for some great information.

Another option would be getting a Needs Assessment which would be less expensive. At the Gibson House Museum in Boston,
    we did an HSR back in 2002 that focused only on the building’s systems. That allowed for us to apply for and receive an SAT
    grant to put in a fire safety system and upgrade our heating.

Later we had a needs assessment done which gave us enough information to apply for other grants for repairs on the
    building.

I would consider carefully why you need an HSR and what your final goal is before writing the RFP.

Jackie Blombach
    Gibson House Museum

• 4.  RE: RFP for HSR?

Posted 29 days ago
    The National Park Service-Denver Service Center, has an overview of resources, standards.   https://www.nps.gov/dscw/hsr.htm

And the General Services Administration has a sample scope of work for an HSR

Sarah Polzin
    Frederick MD

• 5.  RE: RFP for HSR?

Posted 28 days ago
    Jennifer,

I DO have an example of a really good RFP for and HSR that confirms to industry and NPS standard. Please e-mail me directly and I will forward.

The budget for your specific HSR will vary based upon building size, level of building detailing, complexity of systems, and site components. As previously pointed out by others, specific criteria must be included in order to term a report an HSR. Be leery of those who propose services that do not meet these defined requirements. A safe budget range is $100K to $150K for an HSR. If there are interior decorative features that require study, this fee range should cover that scope.

• 6.  RE: RFP for HSR?

Posted 29 days ago
      |   view attached
    @Jennifer Robinson, what is your budget and square footage. That would help to narrow the scope. Are you doing this because you need repairs? If so, I would suggest a condition assessment. For a small building, you may be looking at $12,000-$15,000 depending on where you are located. See attached for a recent condition assessment request I wrote (we contracted for about $12,000). Sometimes you can get a deal if the architectural firm knows you have a funding source for repairs, and they have a good chance of getting the larger project down the road - they want to develop a relationship with you for future work. The attached is titled equote instead of RFP because I work for the state and this is how we request projects under $35,000 in our vendor bid system.

Alissa Lotane
    Tallahassee FL

Attachment(s)