Forum Connect

Ask Me Anything – Ross Bradford and Advocacy/Lobbying (week of Mar 4)

• 1.  Ask Me Anything – Ross Bradford and Advocacy/Lobbying (week of Mar 4)

Posted 03-01-2019 13:17

Continuing with Ask Me Anything on Forum Connect* …

Up next week (Mar 4-9) is @Ross Bradford, senior associate General Counsel at the Nation Trust. Ross will be joining us next week to answer your questions about advocacy and lobbying.

This is in advance of Advocacy Week (March 12-14) in which preservationists from across the country come to DC to promote sound federal preservation policy and programs. Though, advocacy is something we can do every day for preservation!  

Ross and his colleagues on the law team here at the Trust are regular contributors on the Forum including Advocacy through Lobbying: Winning Issue 8 and Saving Union Terminal (blog post) and An Advocate's Guide to Section 106 (webinar).

Ross will be available to answer your questions March 4-8.

Thanks,

Colleen Danz your Forum Connect Community Manager

*In the Ask Me Anything series we'll be asking people, whether around here at the National Trust or in the preservation field at large, to sign on to Forum Connect daily for a week to answer your questions about the work they do. These folks will make a point of coming to Forum Connect daily for a week to respond to your posts. If you have suggestions for topics or AMA participants, just shoot me an email!

------------------------------
    Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Ross Bradford and Advocacy/Lobbying (week of Mar 4)

Posted 03-04-2019 11:05
    Edited by Ross Bradford 03-04-2019 11:07
    Hello! I hope everyone had a great weekend. I'm hear to answer your questions about lobbying and nonprofits this week (or anything else within reason you might want to ask me about). Here's a quick pop quiz - can anyone explain the difference between grassroots and direct lobbying?

Ross M. Bradford | DEPUTY GENERAL COUNSEL
    P 202.588.6252
    NATIONAL TRUST FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION
    The Watergate Office Building
    2600 Virginia Avenue NW Suite 1100 Washington, DC 20037 www.SavingPlaces.org

• 3.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Ross Bradford and Advocacy/Lobbying (week of Mar 4)

Posted 03-04-2019 16:52
    I love a good quiz! Here's my stab:

• Direct lobbying –when you work with representatives or officials (at the local, state, or federal level) to affect change on a bill or legislation.
    • Grassroots –when people get together at the local or community level to affect change, maybe through a letter writing campaign or petitions, but they're not meeting with reps.

If I'm right, what's my prize? If I'm wrong, do I get an "E" for effort?

Diana

Diana Maxwell
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Ask Me Anything – Ross Bradford and Advocacy/Lobbying (week of Mar 4)

Posted 03-04-2019 17:06
    Thanks for your response, Diana. You're on the right track in concept, but the IRS has very specific definitions for determining whether something is direct and grassroots lobbying. These distinctions are important because non-profits need to track all lobbying expenses (both direct and grass roots) and report them on their annual tax filing known as IRS Form 990.

Direct Lobbying is any attempt to influence a federal, state, or local legislative body though communication (e.g., an email, letter, or meeting) with a member or employee of the legislative body or any government official who participates in the formulation of the legislation. In order for the communication to be considered direct lobbying it must refer to specific legislation or a specific legislative proposal.

Grass Roots Lobbying is any communication that attempts to influence legislation at the federal, state, or local levels by affecting the general public's opinion. In order for a communication to be considered a grass roots lobbying communication it must include the following three elements:
    1. it must refer to specific legislation or a specific legislative proposal,
    2. it must reflect a view on the legislation, and
    3. it must include a call to action (i.e., the communication encourages, either directly or indirectly, readers to contact their elected representative).

Extra Credit - is lobbying for a referendum direct or grassroots lobbying?

Ross M. Bradford | DEPUTY GENERAL COUNSEL
    P 202.588.6252
    NATIONAL TRUST FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION
    The Watergate Office Building
    2600 Virginia Avenue NW Suite 1100 Washington, DC 20037 www.SavingPlaces.org