Forum Connect

Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

• 1.  Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 26 days ago
    First off I'd like to thank everyone that participated in PastForward Online 2020 last week. It was so great to hear from everyone in the chats! I am really glad we all got to engage even if it is virtually.

I'm going to keep things simple here today and just open this thread up for those who want to add their info. More tomorrow.

Remember, as always that this is the thread for announcements, news, deadlines big, small, or personal. Create separate threads for discussions only.

------------------------------
    Priya Chhaya
    Forum Connect Community Manager

Associate Director of Content
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 26 days ago
    Please join US/ICOMOS and distinguished speakers from around the world for a virtual symposium on the topic "U.S. World Heritage and Social Justice in the 21st Century." -- now more important than ever!  12-13 November 2020, 1-5 or 6:30 pm EST. Learn more and register here: https://usicomos.org/symposium/

Jennifer Spreitzer

• 3.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 24 days ago
      |   view attached

Hi everyone! The conference was AWESOME. I was thrilled to be able to participate from Buffalo. 

I'm hosting a free "Time & Money Bootcamp" next week, Nov. 9-13th and would like to invite you, and those in your networks, to attend. 

It's geared toward anyone trying to launch or reinvigorate a DIY creative community project. Murals, advocacy projects, history interpretations, urban initiatives. I'm mentoring changemakers from across the country who are new or established in their field and have decided to "do something about it" but need guidance, support and accountability. 

It's free to attend but I request you register so I know how many will be present. https://www.danasaylor.com/bootcamp 

Thanks!

Dana Saylor
    Buffalo NY

• 4.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 24 days ago
    From our friends at Drayton Hall there is a two day symposium on Collections in a few weeks

https://decorativeartstrust.org/exploring-race/

The Drayton Hall Preservation Trust and The Decorative Arts Trust Present
    EXPLORING RACE, PLACE & IDENTITY THROUGH LOW COUNTRY COLLECTIONS

Join us for this two-part seminar focused on new research and interpretation of Low Country collections, objects, and historic sites. With presentations by leading scholars at the Black Craftspeople Digital Archive, Classical American Homes Preservation Trust, Drayton Hall Preservation Trust, and the International African American Museum, this program views Charleston's material culture through the lens of race. The interaction of artisans and consumers across communities of free and enslaved individuals created complex and difficult narratives of oppression and agency. These contradictions are found throughout Charleston and its environs. Our presenters are actively investigating and addressing these issues through the interpretation of collections and structures that express the city's past, present, and future.

Wednesday, November 18, 5:006:00 pm EST

• 5:00 pm  Keynote address by Elon Cook Lee, Director of Interpretation and Education, and Carrie Villar, Acting Vice President for Historic Sites, both from the National Trust for Historic Preservation
    • 5:45 pm  Patricia Lowe Smith and Amber Satterthwaite of the Drayton Hall Preservation Trust
    • 6:15 pm  Closing Q&A discussion with presenters 

Thursday, November 19, 5:008:00 pm EST

• 5:00 pm  Tiffany Momon of the Black Craftspeople Digital Archive
    • 5:30 pm  Lauren Northup of Classical American Homes Preservation Trust
    • 6:00 pm  Brenda Tindal of the International African American Museum
    • 6:30 pm  Closing Q&A discussion with presenters

Registration is offered on a pay what you can system. Participants should register for the full program even if they are only able to attend one session. All proceeds will be shared between the Drayton Hall Preservation Trust and the Decorative Arts Trust. 

Registration Fee: Pay What You Wish

Priya Chhaya

Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 21 days ago
      |   view attached
    Registration is open for the  NY Statewide Preservation Conference! The Conference will be virtual 12/1 - 12/3. Registration is just $25 and we're offering Diversity Scholarships and scholarships to NYS residents. Keynote Speaker is equitable development strategist, Lauren Hood, from Detroit. Also featuring a crafting workshop with @Sarah Marsom. Registration and details: https://www.landmarksociety.org/conference/. ​​I hope to see some colleagues from around the country there! :-)

Caitlin Meives
    Rochester NY

• 6.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 17 days ago
    Edited by Cindy Olnick 17 days ago
    I'm excited to announce the launch of Save As, a podcast that glimpses the future of heritage conservation through the work of graduate students at the University of Southern California.

We look to the next generation to help us explore issues we're all grappling with: Why do we save historic places, and for whom? Who decides what's worth saving? How can heritage conservation advance racial equity and social justice, address climate change, and support healthy communities?

The podcast features interviews with USC Heritage Conservation students whose research includes:
    • Sites of racial violence in Los Angeles
    • Heritage conservation's role in urban resilience
    • Recording studios and acoustic heritage
    • Challenges in designating LGBTQ sites
    • And more to come

I'm thrilled to co-host Save As with Trudi Sandmeier, director of heritage conservation programs at USC. USC professor (and Heritage Conservation student) Willa Seidenberg produces the podcast with the help of some amazing fellow students.

The first two episodes are now available, and we'll release a new one every two weeks.

You can listen and subscribe on our website or on Apple, Google, Spotify, and Stitcher.

I hope you enjoy Save As, I'd love to know what you think, and I'd appreciate your spreading the word to others who might find it of interest. Many thanks!

Best,
    Cindy

@uscmhc

Cindy Olnick
    Communications consultant for historic places and preservation
    Los Angeles, CA
    cindyolnick.com

• 7.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 14 days ago
    Edited by Priya Chhaya 14 days ago
    Note from the community manager: Pat wanted to share this link to tell the community about some recent work she has done in New Haven. Specifically an outreach effort to enable preservation in the Dwight Street National Historic neighborhood. This includes letting homeowners know where to get money, technical advice, help to fill out applications, and where to find licensed contractors.

http://www.newhavenindependent.org/index.php/archives/entry/dwight_historic_homes/
    Pat Wallace
    Sent from my iPhone

Patricia Wallace
    New Haven CT

• 8.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 14 days ago
    This is fantastic, Pat -- options, not just opposition. What kind of response are you getting from residents?

Cindy Olnick
    Communications consultant for historic places and preservation
    Los Angeles, CA
    cindyolnick.com

• 9.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 13 days ago

It is early days to measure response.  We just sent out postcards in the last few weeks and we are putting up poster and will distribute flyers door-to-door.  We will check back with the cooperating organizations to see if they are hearing from people.  We also have encouraged people to sign up for a masmter emailing list we are creating for the neighborhood, and have offered the incentive of a drawing for a $50 grocery store gift card for those that sign up.  We will see how all of this turns out.  It will take a while.  We know that nothing beats door knocks!

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

• 10.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 13 days ago
    The Boston Preservation Alliance invites you to join us for Coffee Hour: Planning Your Virtual Event this Friday at 10:00 am (Eastern). Alliance staff will be joined by event planners from Liz Page Associates to discuss our recent virtual Awards event, what we learned, and tips for planning your events. There will be time for Q&A. Free and open to the public. Email Alison to register: afrazee@bostonpreservation.org See videos from our event, featuring award-winning Journalist Katie Couric, here: http://www.bostonpreservation.org/awards/2020

Matthew Dickey
    Boston MA

• 11.  RE: Share Your Announcements/Events/Deadlines November 2020

Posted 13 days ago
    All TOMORROW the National Trust's Government Relations Team and Preservation Leadership Forum are hosting a webinar

Preservation Advocacy During the Congressional Lame-Duck and Looking Forward to the 117th Congress
    November 18 | 3-4PM ET

Join preservation partners, congressional staff, and National Trust's government relations team for a presentation on the most pressing policy issues facing the preservation community in the months ahead. Learn how the results of the election provide opportunities and challenges for preservation priorities during the lame duck Congressional session and beyond. Advocates will discuss potential areas of focus for the last days of the 116th Congress, and will look forward to likely early priorities of the 117th Congress. There will be a follow up webinar in January or early February that will discuss strategy for relevant priorities in the first 100 days of the new Congress and the Administration.

https://attendee.gotowebinar.com/register/5945502885018429709

Priya Chhaya

Washington DC