Forum Connect

Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

• 1.  Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

Posted 04-11-2018 09:58
    Good morning, everyone! Does anyone have any great examples of 1940s-1960s supermarkets surviving in their towns? or any that were recently listed on the NRHP/received tax credits? Trying to convince a client a building is worth saving and need some ammunition!

Thank you all so much!
    Brittany

PS - attached is the building in question

------------------------------
    Brittany V. Lavelle Tulla
    Principal, BVL Historic Preservation Research
    Adjunct Professor, College of Charleston
    Charleston, SC
    (732) 996-7745

• 2.  RE: Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

Posted 04-11-2018 14:55
    Sorry, I don't have any examples, but how cool is that building.  Makes me think of the A&P in the town where I grew up and the smell from the aisle where the coffee grinder was located. What a shame it would be to lose it.

Jim Sparks
    SparksArchitecture.com
    Glasgow KY

• 3.  RE: Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

Posted 04-13-2018 13:29
    Isn't it amazing? Thank you for sharing the love!

Brittany V. Lavelle Tulla
    Principal, BVL Historic Preservation Research
    Adjunct Professor, College of Charleston
    Charleston, SC
    (732) 996-7745

• 4.  RE: Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

Posted 04-12-2018 08:43
    Iowa has several in small towns and older urban areas, however many have been rehabbed into other uses and sometimes are hard to recognize. I would contact the Iowa Main Street program and other state main street programs around the country.

Curt Heidt
    Community Volunteer
    515 229 4948

• 5.  RE: Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

Posted 04-12-2018 10:49
    I don't know much about the project, but I remember reading about this rehab in Richmond, VA. Hope this is helpful!
    Former Siegel's grocery store in South Richmond being restored; it was a 'modern food wonderland of amazing design'
    Richmond Times-Dispatch remove preview
    Former Siegel's grocery store in South Richmond being restored; it was a 'modern food wonderland of amazing design'
    Michael Hild could see beyond the graffiti and the boarded-up entrance when he first drove by the former Siegel's grocery store building off Bainbridge and Hull streets in South Richmond. "I said, 'Wow, this is an interesting building, and what is it doing there sitting vacant?'" Hild said. "This stands out.
    View this on Richmond Times-Dispatch >

Denice Dressel
    Heritage Resource Planner
    Fairfax County History Commission-DPZ
    Fairfax VA
    (703)324-1383

• 6.  RE: Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

Posted 04-13-2018 06:38
    Hello!
    Well up until the first of April, Madison, IN had a "Rulers", which was owned by Kroger. It is in the center of our Historic District! They said it was not profitable. The city is trying to find another store to occupy the building. Kroger's lease is for another two years I think.

Stanley Wells
    Owner
    This Little Old House
    Madison IN

• 7.  RE: Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

Posted 04-13-2018 10:32
    The Antelope County Historical Society rehabbed a grocery building dating to this era.  Due to the open plan, adaptable building infrastructure, existing parking etc. this property type is very adaptable for many purposes. In their case it created a very nice local museum with a sustainable facility.

Antelope County Museum - Neligh, Nebraska
    Antelope County Museum remove preview
    Antelope County Museum - Neligh, Nebraska
    The Antelope County Museum has a new location in Neligh, Nebraska, that is ADA Accessible. Featuring artifacts, historical documents and an archive, the museum along Hwy 275 is a must for those in Northeast Nebraska.
    View this on Antelope County Museum >

Frank Strassler
    Executive Director
    Historic Staunton Foundation
    Staunton VA
    (540)885-7676

• 8.  RE: Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

Posted 04-14-2018 11:40
      |   view attached

We have a 1966 Safeway building that's still intact. It most recently held a Sports Authority and when that went out of business a regional development company bought the property. It's sat empty for a few years now as the developer occasionally promises that a boutique grocery store is going in there, but nothing comes of the promises.

So we're not sure what will happen to the building. It's not landmarked. Our current preservation code requires that any development project involving an eligible building (even if it's not landmarked) must adaptively reuse the building. But we also have an auto dealership from the 1960s that we found to be eligible and that developer appealed our decision. It went to City Council and despite our finding that it's eligible for a person, events, and architecture, they decided it was "old but not historic." We'll be losing that property any day now. With that decision in mind, I suspect the current developer for the old Safeway building might take a similar tactic. (If it's not from the Victorian era, it couldn't possible be worth saving, right?  :-P   )

Here's a link to the architectural inventory form that was done on the building awhile back. http://www.historitecture.com/pdf/collegeaves0425.pdf

Meg Dunn
    Fort Collins CO

• 9.  RE: Examples of Surviving 1950s Supermarkets

Posted 04-18-2018 20:41
    Brittany, it's great that you're trying to save a midcentury supermarket.  I'm glad that Meg brought up a 1960s Safeway. Safeways like the modernist one in Fort Collins are known as "Marina style" Safeways (named after the first one built of that type, on Marina Blvd in San Francisco). A number of them still exist nationally.

Most still function as some type of store; a few have even become car dealerships. At least a couple have been adaptively reused - including as a library in Red Bluff, CA, and a community resource center in Wichita.  For recent photographs of (and basic information on) lots of them, including those reuses, see Mid-Century Modern Safeway Supermarkets | RoadsideArchitecture.com

In 2009, the Highland Park Community Trust applied for the former Safeway in the Highland Park neighborhood to become a Los Angeles Historic-Cultural Monument. The application was denied for several reasons, but the application and the recommendation are still an interesting read: cityplanning.lacity.org/StaffRpt/CHC/3-19-09/CHC-2009-404.pdf

I couldn't find any Marina-style Safeways on the NR, but the first self-serve supermarket in New Orleans, the 1946 Schwegmann Bros, was listed in 2014: https://www.nps.gov/nr/feature/places/14000314.htm

Best of luck!

Kelli Shapiro, PhD
    Program Associate
    Preservation Alliance of West Virginia
    kshapiro@pawv.org