Forum Connect

What are you working on?

• 1.  What are you working on?

Posted 03-23-2018 14:22
    Hi All!

We've had a bit of a slow week on Forum Connect. (It happens :) ) So I thought I'd start a general thread for some preservationist support and bonding, if nothing else. What are you all working on right now? Is there a big challenge you're facing? I'm sure there will be people here who will know exactly how you feel, or who can even offer some advice.

Right now, my biggest challenge is compiling National Preservation Award nominations for review. There is just too much amazing work being done in preservation right now. I am so inspired by the innovation I'm seeing in projects and by people's desire to positively and substantially impact their community. It's an awesome time to be in preservation!

Let us know what's on your mind, and happy weekend, all!

------------------------------
    Rebecca Bice
    Associate Manager for Forum Member Engagement
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-24-2018 06:34
    Hi! Right now I am working on developing methods for 1) diagnosing why a crack has occurred on a historic building and 2) how it effects the future stability of the structure. I want to help ensure that when there is an intervention on a historic building (through the use of compression rings, tie rods, etc.), the assessment is as detailed as possible so appropriate next steps can be taken to save vulnerable structures. It is a pretty tough challenge since cracks manifest themselves so differently across different material, but so far I have had some luck with masonry and rammed earth. If anyone else is working on crack detection, diagnosis, mitigation, has a building they are working on with lots of cracks, or is just interested I'd love to be in contact! :)

Rebecca Napolitano
    PhD Candidate
    Princeton NJ

• 3.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-25-2018 11:58
    Presently there are several things that are on the table for me regarding preservation. I do not have any particular training in preservation but my experiences have been enough to allow me to get involved in preservation work. The most important element has been my interest and being aware that there are things I can do if I take it one step at a time. 

Just a little background (and I will keep it short), my wife and I mark our entrance into preservation work where we both agreed to begin a study project on the Underground Railroad where we were seeking more understanding for ourselves. This was 20 years ago. What we found was that the more authentic story was to be found through the first person narratives, newspaper accounts and other records and that it was different in focus and flavor from the conflated story that focused on isolated dramatic moments. The broader story was more ordinary and involved more people than are usually referenced. Our exploration took us to ways to tell and share the story with wider circles of our community and then to a threatened structure that we hoped to "help" the owner take care of it. 

One thing led to another and after forming a non-profit organization we took on restoring that building. The result was an award winning restoration project and award winning programming where we enabled others and raised money to get work done.

Presently I am expecting to be looking at ways to bring educational programming on the Underground Railroad and 19th century African American life to public audiences based on the general work on the Underground Railroad we have been doing, the specific life stories of Stephen and Harriet Myers, Dr. Thomas Elkins, and a number of other figures and relating that through archaeology that has been done in connection with our project by junior high, high school and college students over the past several years. Professional archaeological work has been done too. We are exploring tying these stories to the broader sanctuary movements over time and relating that to Sanctuary Cities and border crossings from freedom today. We are convinced there are universal human right themes that are important for public dialogue.

A constant issue that is also on the table is the health of non-profit organizations. How do you motivate volunteers, nurture them and sustain them. Volunteers for boards and volunteers for advancing the efforts of the project? We recruit and utilize volunteers for commemorative gardens connected with our project that were established by volunteers in prior years. The gardens are tools for telling and celebrating the historic stories connected with the properties on which the gardens are cultivated. [Likewise how do you economically combat ground hogs?]  

Finally raising funds for historic preservation work is a constant issue. Our project has supported 1-2 staff through out the year and at mid year we take on 4-6 people to help with a summer teen program. Raising funds to do these things is a constant challenge and there seems to be no magic formulas - though we constantly look for them. All offers of help welcomed!

These are my offerings. I hope someone out there can offer a word, direction or assistance in some fashion. We are always looking for opportunities for collaboration and assistance!

Best wishes!

• 4.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-25-2018 13:12
    Rebecca,  Handsell is located in Vienna MD, a National Register Listed site.  In 2015 we installed 14 tie rods through the house because of several large fissures that had developed mostly from ivy vines that had covered the brick house for years.  There was also a 3/8" forward movement starting at ones of the cracks after the Washington DC earthquake several years ago that caused us great concern.  Tie rods were installed under the specs of a structural engineer (in lieu of underpinning which others had recommended, but that made many of us quite nervous).  If you would like to discuss further, or visit us, please contact me at  410-228-7458.

Midge Ingersoll
    President
    Nanticoke Historic Preservation
    Cambridge MD
    restorehandsell@gmail.com

• 5.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-24-2018 10:24
    Hello,
    I am writing on behalf of the Crow Canyon Archaeological Center, Cortez, Colorado.  Some of the staff are preparing comments to deliver at two public meetings to be hosted by the Bureau of Land Management (BLM) early next week regarding the management of the Bears Ears National Monument, southeastern Utah.  We are strongly advocating for the protection of archaeological and traditional cultural resources within the once larger boundary for the Monument.  In addition, I am working with a colleague from Zuni Pueblo, western New Mexico, to restore six religious buildings called "kivas" located in the oldest part of the Zuni community.  We are working with the Tribe to complete restoration of the first kiva (Corn Kiva) by June this year, and to begin preparing condition assessments and treatment plans for the remaining five kivas.

Sharon Milholland Ph.D.
    Director, American Indian Initiatives
    Crow Canyon Archaeological Center
    Cortez, CO

• 6.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-24-2018 12:05
    I live in Broken Arrow, OK, the fastest growing (and 4th largest) city in Oklahoma. Citizens are pleased with the recent overhaul of the old Main Street area, creating a delightful, walkable unique shopping and dining district utilizing the old Main Street buildings. However, now developers and realtors are going door to door in the surrounding square mile, asking historic homeowners to sell their historic homes, with the intent to tear down and build new high density housing. Many of these homes date to the earliest days (1903) of the founding of Broken Arrow, testifying to a rich history and the can-do spirit of the Oklahoma pioneers. Unfortunately, we've already lost several historic structures, like Broken Arrow's first postmaster's home and the National Register listed Haskell State College. Our new Built Heritage Preservation Committee has started a dialog with the City to try to increase awareness and appreciation for the rich stock of historic homes and structures, as well as to possibly introduce a Historic Preservation Ordinance into the zoning code. However, there is resistance to "placing any restrictions" on the development momentum, and property owners are fearful that our committee has a "hidden agenda" of wanting to tell property owners what they can and cannot do with their historic properties. So our committee's challenge is to find ways to educate citizens about the importance of preserving (or at least documenting) our built heritage before it is lost to development, while at the same time, not being perceived as hindering development.

Rebekah Wood
    Broken Arrow OK

• 7.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-25-2018 11:45

Rebekah, I'm currently sitting in a cafe in Tulsa. My daughter and I just drove from Fort Collins with a new (to her) car for her to use while she's here at TU. And your description of what you're facing not only resonates with me because I love!!! the residential architecture of the Tulsa area, but also because we're facing a very similar developer/homeowner scenario in Fort Collins.

We do have a buffer between us and the higher density housing that's infilling the area. But we have no protections against homeowners tearing down their historic homes and replacing them with much larger houses that are out of character with the neighborhood. It's a lose-lose because not only do we suffer the loss of the older building, but there's no improvement in density  (or affordable housing) either. And an entire house has added to our almost full landfill.

Several neighbors and I are currently reading _The_Politics_of_Historic_Districts_ by Bill Schmickle. I highly recommend it if you haven't read it yet. We started our process several years ago by petitioning the City to help us get a grant for context and survey work. The context was written first, which gave us an opportunity to hold a neighborhood meeting and talk about the history of our neighborhood. We introduced the idea of a historic district, but then stepped back and let that soak in. The surveys were completed last fall and we held a second neighborhood meeting in which everyone received a copy of their survey. (Most were brief architectural surveys, though 34 homeowners had agreed to have an intensive survey done of their property. We had just over 300 houses surveyed.) This was another opportunity to bring up districting. And in the 3 or 4 years we've been getting context and survey written, we've lost several houses, which has helped to catalyze homeowners.

We've now formed a steering committee for a historic district and we're just starting to talk with neighbors to get a sense of who would be in favor. This will help us draw a potential boundary. I'd say the key so far is information -- what do you have and what are you losing? Every loss should be an example of why a district is needed. Schmickle's book helps to provide the arguments for a district. 

We've got a long road ahead of us yet. And we're just starting to get a sense of our opposition. In the meantime, we're losing two more houses in the next couple of months. But I'm holding out hope that that will only bolster our argument and help more people agree that a district is necessary to protect what we have left. 

Meg Dunn
    Fort Collins CO

• 8.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-25-2018 21:03

I've been working with the rest of the Latinos in Heritage Conservation Executive Committee to put together our first East Coast conference. We will be co-hosting the event with Rhode Island Latino Arts  and the Rhode Island Historical Preservation and Heritage Commission. This will be the 3rd National Convening of Latinos in Heritage Conservation and the 33rd Annual Statewide Rhode Island Historic Preservation Conference.

Registration is finally live and we are in the home stretch! I'm helping with a session dedicated to highlighting research from emerging scholars and professionals. Our sessions will deal with a range of topics, schedule available here: Schedule | Preservation Conference RI. Thursday and Friday will be dedicated to panels and sessions, Saturday will be full of excursions and site visits. We have tried to keep registration costs low in hopes of making the conference accessible to many.

Registration fees:
    $30 Thursday – Friday | $50 Saturday ($80 for Thursday – Saturday)
    $15 Thursday – Friday | $25 Saturday for students with i.d. ($40 for Thursday – Saturday)

I'm thrilled to announce that due to a very generous donation from Julianne Polanco (CA SHPO) and her family, we are able to offer a student scholarship to attend the conference (applications due April 2).

The Isabel Espinoza Polanco Student Scholarship

Latinos in Heritage Conservation is pleased to announce the Isabel Espinoza Polanco student scholarship award of $500 to assist one currently enrolled college or graduate student with the cost of attending the Encuentro 2018 conference in Providence, RI. The scholarship recipient may use the stipend for hotel, transportation, and conference registration. Apply today!

Website with more details: https://www.latinoheritage.us/polanco-scholarship

Putting together a conference is a lot of work and I'm so grateful to my fellow Executive Committee members for all of their hard work and thoughtful input. Encuentro should be wonderful, and I hope to see some of you there! In the meantime, please do share this information about our new scholarship opportunity with your networks.

Moira Nadal
    Washington DC
    mnadal@savingplaces.org

• 9.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 04-07-2018 17:59
    Thank you, Meg, for recommending The Politics of Historic Districts! I've ordered the book in and am reading it now. The stages the author describes are spot-on with where we're going with the political process, and the advice looks practical and sound. I'm already taking notes on how to customize the recommendations to our process here...Thank you!

Rebekah Wood
    Broken Arrow OK

• 10.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 04-08-2018 14:56

Oh good! Glad you're finding the book helpful. I still need to finish reading it.

One thing that I'd like to know (from everyone out there with experience advocating for a historic district) is how much of a role did your website play? (Did you even have a website?) And how much of a role did your social media presence make? (Again, if you had one. And was it on Facebook or elsewhere?)

I'm just starting to work on a website that we're hoping will provide information for anyone that wants to dig deeper as well as a preservation-minded viewpoint from which to think about environmental sustainability, local economy, property rights, etc. We'll also have block captains that go around and speak directly with neighbors, but we want to be able to refer people to a place with more info. 

I also feel like I must be reinventing the wheel on some of the issues that we're facing. If someone elsewhere has already written about some of this stuff (with the general public as the intended audience) it would be nice to pull from what's been done already. And likewise, once our site is written and we've (hopefully) gotten a historic district created, I'd hope people could use our website/articles as a resource to (update specifics to their own neighborhood and) share with their local community. 

So, if anyone has links to websites that were used to help educate a neighborhood regarding historic preservation, I'd love to take a look at those. And for anyone that wants to follow along with what we're doing, we'll be at http://www.historicloomisaddition.org/ (which is still in the very, very beginning stages, but I'm hoping to make a big charge into getting content posted this week). 

Meg Dunn
    Fort Collins CO

• 11.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-26-2018 10:45
    Funny enough, I and a coworker are working on the very same thing this week -- compiling our 2018 awards nominations for review. I too am totally inspired by all the good work happening in our little brave state. And for the first time, we have done the applications entirely through an online application. The reviews will be online too. No more printed packets!

Meg Campbell
    Easement Program Director
    Preservation Trust of Vermont
    Bennington VT

• 12.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-27-2018 17:55
    Hi All:

I am constantly working on multiple projects, but right now my main focus is finalizing our annual heritage tourism event Home + History Las Vegas. The event is influenced by the success of Palm Spring's Modernism Week and is a weekend full of events that help to advocate and educate both locals and tourists on Las Vegas' architectural history and our preservation efforts. It has helped create a sense of excitement around preservation and is also growing as a significant fundraiser for our organization. More information is available on our website if anyone is interested.

What other heritage tourism events or programs are people working on in the preservation community?

Michelle Larime
    Associate Director
    Nevada Preservation Foundation
    Las Vegas NV

• 13.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-28-2018 15:37
    Here at Ohkay Owingeh Pueblo in northern New Mexico we met with architects from AOS this week to begin the planning study, structural assessments, and preliminary construction drawings for the next 20 ancestral adobe homes in our Pueblo Rehab Project.  It has been four years since the last phase was completed bringing the total to 34 homes, with 42 families now living in the 700-year-old cultural center of Ohkay Owingeh.  For this phase we are seeking private sector funding in the amount of approximately $5 million, as opposed to the usual federal funding - an interesting and exciting challenge.  Read more about this beautiful project below.  Front page, above the fold!

http://www.santafenewmexican.com/news/local_news/ohkay-owingeh-reviving-a-crumbling-pueblo/article_f06c0ce3-bfb5-544c-96ef-1b970e429283.html

Leslie Colley
    Development Officer
    Ohkay Owingeh Housing Authority
    Ohkay Owingeh, NM
    (505)852-0189
    leslie.colley@gmail.com

• 14.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-29-2018 09:26

We're busy here in Venice, FL:

·         Working on the restoration of an 1896 (which is old for Florida!) four-square to be used as an early settlement museum and information center for tourists.

·         Finalizing an ad valorem tax exemption ordinance for properties on the local register.

·         Revising the City's current historic preservation ordinance in conjunction with the planning department's rewrite of land development regulations.

·         Putting together a resource brochure for those interested in listing their property or to be used in a preservation intervention.

·         Planning an association of communities that were planned by the landscape architect and city planner John Nolen (know of any in your neck o' the woods?).

Harry Klinkhamer

Historical Resources Manager

City of Venice

941-486-2490

hklinkhamer@venicegov.com

Venice Museum & Archives

http://www.venicemuseum.org/

City of Venice

http://venicegov.com

Cities need old buildings so badly it is probably

impossible for vigorous streets and districts to

grow without them....

– Jane Jacobs from The Death and Life of Great American Cities

• 15.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-30-2018 10:43
    Mr. Klinkhamer...just curious...what has your organization determined to be important to list in your Resource Brochure for historic property owners? I'm assuming organizations like the National Trust for Historic Preservation, SHPO, other state and local organizations, historical societies, local museums, etc. Also a list of professionals who could be hired to research historic properties and write up National Register Nominations (and their rates/fees), and/or a list of go-to resources for conducting one's own research (local libraries, historical society archives, land records office, etc.) And would you also include a list of reputable building suppliers and contractors for historic property owners seeking to sensitively restore/make improvements to their historic properties...and if so, would you need to make any disclaimers that your own society bears no responsibility for the work conducted by any contractors on this list? Anything I'm overlooking....?

Would you include any primers on basic Historic Preservation law/ordinances, as well as some kind of summary making the case for why historic preservation is important to your community?

And then, how will your organization distribute the Resource Brochure? Online, door-to-door, mail, distribution at public events...?

Our still-very-new Built Heritage Preservation Committee is working on a draft of a similar type brochure; Hence, we're very interested in what other organizations have incorporated into successful educational outreach materials for historic property owners.

Rebekah Wood
    Broken Arrow OK

• 16.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 04-02-2018 09:30

Hello Rebekah,

Our guide is going to focus primarily on the carrots of preservation.  In other words tax credits, permit fee waivers, reduced flood insurance, etc.  Probably will add resources such as NTHP, and the State SHPO as well as myself and the county.  Being a city entity, I don't want to go down that path of listing specific contractors for risk of looking like an endorsement or favoritism, but will have what to look for in a contractor/architect, etc. 

I think it's great that you are looking into doing this.  For us, the idea came out of a preservation intervention I did to save a building in a historic district.  The owners just didn't know what was available to them because they have a building on the National Register.

Harry Klinkhamer

Historical Resources Manager

City of Venice

941-486-2490

hklinkhamer@venicegov.com

Venice Museum & Archives

http://www.venicemuseum.org/

City of Venice

http://venicegov.com

Cities need old buildings so badly it is probably

impossible for vigorous streets and districts to

grow without them....

– Jane Jacobs from The Death and Life of Great American Cities

• 17.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-29-2018 11:14
    ​Hi,
    I am the Preservation Planner for Iowa City, IA. We are extremely busy and have limited staff hours.
    We are managing a National Park Service Civil Rights grant for the National Register Nomination and Educational Materials/Signage for two African American student homes. We are also managing a National Trust grant to update the survey of our historic downtown, which will hopefully lead to NR listing and local district designation and the associated zoning protections. We are completing a State HRDP grant to rehabilitate the roofs (part of a larger project) of two historic, commemorative log cabins owned by the City. We are also just getting ready to send out requests for quotes on three State CLG grants for a farm, a monument and a small historic district in town.
    In addition to the grant work, we are in the final steps of local landmark designation (and zoning protection) on 7 individual historic properties. We are in the initial steps for the same process for a small district and plan to move on with more individual local landmarks very soon. We are also working with the local University and current owners to preserve/save/possibly move the oldest extant house within city limits. We have recently put out a press release on a Historic Preservation Fund that was implemented at the beginning of the current fiscal year to get the word out and drum up more applicants. This has resulted in many new interested owners, many phone calls and emails.
    At the same time, we continue with our general work of regulating the exterior improvements to roughly 1600 properties, responding to requests for historic information, reaching out to property owners with an annual letter, updating brochures, and generally trying to provide good customer service so that preservation is a positive element of our community.
    Fun, eh?

Jessica Bristow
    Historic Preservation Planner
    City of Iowa City
    Iowa City IA

• 18.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-29-2018 16:20
    Thank you so much for sharing, everyone. I've heard from a few people that they really value hearing about the work everyone is doing and knowing there are some similar challenges out there. It's also always fun for me to be reminded of how many different and unique things this community tackles on a regular basis-wow!

I'd love to keep this thread going. Please feel free to keep contributing if you haven't already!

Rebecca Bice
    Associate Manager for Forum Member Engagement
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 19.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 03-30-2018 20:11
    Hello everyone,

I would greatly appreciate help on a topic that I'm researching.  I'm looking for material (book chapters, articles, scribbles on napkins, etc.) on the relationship between historic buildings and the success of retail.  For example, whether retail sales are higher in historic districts.  Those who send me suggestions will receive a chocolate Easter egg!  Thank you

Andrew Littman
    Ferndale MI

• 20.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 04-02-2018 08:50
    Venice it's great to hear about your work - I will definitely be keeping tabs on the finished work and your process to develop them.  I appreciate the eager effort for such a large undertaking.  In St. Augustine we have been working on a comprehensive historic preservation master plan which has not been done since 1986, the same year we became a CLG.  Much has changed and many guidelines and ordinances do not take into consideration the evolved preservation ethic, the economy, technology, and of course climate change issues.  Through the process of doing this (almost 3 years now) I feel a little overwhelmed but very excited about the work that needs to be done.  Our major emphasis is working upward from the community so I have to be realistic about the goals we try to set each year.

We are updating design standards for our overlay zones at our "entry corridors" which focuses on appearance rather than preservation but nonetheless is important to preserving our sense of place on these major thoroughfares.  We don't message it as historic preservation because it confuses many people.

In addition, we are hosting a NAPC training workshop to tackle a few basic topics as well as dive into depth for issues related to local landmarks, resiliency planning, and creative zoning as incentives for preservation.  We are still recovering from the hurricanes and seeing home elevations and demolitions and to that end we are working to bring some flood plain speakers to a mini seminar so we can understand flood insurance rates and building codes in the flood plain.  It's also grant time in Florida and I am considering whether we have capacity to assemble a competitive NEH grant for our archaeological collections at the lab.  One very exciting activity will be celebrating preservation month with a open house of our 1898 Waterworks building that has been shuttered since 2005 and is now safe and entering what will hopefully be the final phase of work for its next adaptive use.

Thanks for sharing!
    P.S. If you all have links to your projects please share, our historic preservation master plan progress can be monitored here:  http://www.citystaug.com/government/planning_and_building/HistoricPreservationMasterPlan.php

Jenny Wolfe
    Historic Preservation Officer
    City of St. Augustine
    St. Augustine FL
    (904)825-1060

• 21.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 04-02-2018 09:36
    Hi, Andrew,

You might want to take a look at Donovan Rypkema's book, The Economics of Historic Preservation: A Community Leader's Guide. It may not have precisely what you are looking for - I cannot recall if it has numbers specific to retail business, but it does discuss the overall economic boost in historic districts.

Laura Sadowsky

State Historian and National Register Coordinator

laura.sadowsky@iowa.gov | 515.281.3989 | iowaculture.gov

Iowa Arts Council | Produce Iowa | State Historical Society of Iowa

Iowa Department of Cultural Affairs

Share your stories using #IowaCulture and #NotToBrag

• 22.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 05-03-2018 15:16
    Here's what's happening in my preservation-related world as of the first week of May:

• Our city just re-enacted our historic preservation ordinance with completely new guidelines -- a 2-3 year process to rescue and make some adjustments to a 22 year old program. As city attorney, my office was involved the entire way, including drafting all required legislation. We now turn to working with property owners on the new regulations; I am also planning on holding a financial incentives for rehab workshop sometime this summer.
    • I am involved with others on the rescue and restoration of a 1904 landmark structure by noted Detroit architect Louis Kamper (Book-Cadillac Hotel, many important commissions), the only surviving Neoclassical house by Kamper based on his Michigan Building at the 1901 Pan-American Exposition in Buffalo. I included an interior photo below. Our 2018 tour and events season starts Saturday, the same day that I will be giving a historical overview of our city's landmark railroad depot -- owned by the city and awaiting hopeful adaptive re-use.
    • I am currently working on new text-based on app-driven themed landmark walking tours for several area communities.
    • Preservation Ohio, which I serve as Executive Director, just issued the call for nominations for the 2018 List of Ohio's Most Endangered Historic Sites. We have learned (this is the 25th year) that to do an endangered list effectively, a great deal of work is required.
    • This month, our city's downtown is officially launching its $300,000 CDBG building rehabilitation program.
    • Lastly, tomorrow I am going to the always-cool Secret City Tour in nearby Mansfield, where historic downtown buildings that are rarely open to the public can be visited.
    There's actually much more going on. Yes, life is busy around here!
    Gill House Staircase

Thomas Palmer
    Galion OH

• 23.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 05-04-2018 15:20
    I've always read the forum's interesting posts but finally feel compelled to respond to the "What are you doing for preservation?" prompt. As a non-professional / volunteer architectural preservationist, I think I hope to inspire others. I've always believed in Education as opposed to Legislation, so here I am -- hoping to educate and, especially, inspire.

I live and work in a tiny (population 200) town in rural northern California. Several years ago I completed a HRS of the place (well preserved by benign neglect alone through the '60s, until people began to realize what we have here). 

An important current project is what we have named Rejuvenation -- the part-restoration, part-rehabilitation of our almost 150-year-old community building, the Tomales Town Hall. (This is a significant age for a California building, and ours is one of the oldest, continually operating community buildings in the state.)

We have a good crew of volunteers and are currently beginning a Capital Campaign to raise the funds -- something none of us has ever done on this level before -- to bring this well-used building into the 21st century by its sesquicentennial in 2024.

It is a simple, vernacular building, full of well-loved quirks and memories. I am learning that maybe -- just maybe -- Education and Inspiration (along with hard work, of course) can save places. Your Forum and the National Trust in general, have been a wonderful help in so many ways. Thank you!

Ginny MacKenzie-Magan
    Tomales CA

• 24.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 05-05-2018 07:35
    Good morning!

Lots of preservation work going on!

• In my new position, working on a state grant to do a historic resource survey for our county. We do not currently have a historic preservation program, so this would help lay the groundwork for strategies moving forward. We are also working on a long-range plan for our rural part of our county, which will include history and heritage as a part of it.
    • Outside of work, I am helping coordinate a new Friends of Bosque Bello Cemetery group, our c.1798 historic cemetery. 
    • The week after next, the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation conference will be in Jacksonville! I'm chairing the conference, and have had a great team of other Board members and volunteers help to plan this event. It's going to be great. 
    • Continuing to chug away at submitting my first National Register nomination for Peck High School, our local Rosenwald school. It's been a learning experience. 

Happy Historic Preservation Month to everyone!
    Adrienne

Adrienne Burke
    Policy Planner
    Nassau County Planning + Economic Opportunity Dept.
    Yulee, FL

• 25.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 05-07-2018 08:38
    Working to restore a couple of historic churches.  First Methodist Episcopal Church (north) now Trinity United Methodist Church in Muskogee, OK and Trinity Episcopal Church in Guthrie, OK. I'm a grant writer and administrator focused on historic preservation.  Love the exchange of ideas this group offers! Tonight Preservation Oklahoma will unveil its Endangered List.  One of those is my next project!  
    June Chubbuck 
    Sellers of Purple, LLC
    The Village, OK 
    --
    From my iPhone

• 26.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 05-07-2018 08:09
    Edited by Sarah Marsom 05-11-2018 11:08
    Thank you everyone for sharing your preservation endeavors! It is always motivating to learn about diverse efforts in the historic preservation field.

Lately my preservation work is spanning from traditional to unconventional. I am currently working on:
    • A preliminary questionnaire for SHPO! I'm helping a developer pursue a NRHP designation for an automotive parts manufacturing facility. + It was also used as a I.O.O.F temple for decade! Once SHPO support is received, I'll be working with Toledo Revival on historic tax credit applications for the developer (this is his second project ever and he is excited to do things the preservation way). 
    • The Tiny Activist Project has partnered with Latinos in Heritage Conservation to crowdsource names of Latina activists who were involved in protecting or conserving the heritage of a Latinx community or place in the U.S.; we will highlight the nominees in a blog series and have the public help decide who the next Tiny Activist doll should be! We are accepting names of trailblazing mujeres through May, and hope you will help spread the word and submit a nominee to latinoheritageconservation@gmail.com. I am over the moon excited to see the new doll inspire people the same way #tinyjanejacobs has. Share Latino History

• I'm creating a textile art piece for #wildartcolumbus! This piece is another step in extending the Tiny Activist Project beyond a singular icon. The  Wild Art Columbus Auction & Party raises funds for Wild Goose Creative, a nonprofit community arts organization whose mission is to build a creative community at the intersection of art, risk and meaning. My piece will include a one of a kind Columbus inspired Tiny Jane + a wearable textile piece covered in illustrations of forgotten Columbus buildings. Fusing historic preservation and craftivism has been a wonderful way to start conversations around historic preservation both online and in Ohio. I'll be posting teaser images of the auction items on the Tiny Activist Project instagram
    • Are you an emerging preservation professional wanting to attend PastForward? Do not forget to apply for the Tiny Jane Scholarship. For the second year in a row we are offering tiny scholarships for people with big dreams. You can utilize this scholarship to help bridge a funding gap at your workplace or to assist you in paying your own way to San Francisco. We are accepting applications through May. 
    Historic preservation includes a wide spectrum of work and I'm happy to have a variety of projects underway... what I've listed above and more! I look forward to reading what preservation month holds for you.

SaveSave​​​SaveSave

Sarah Marsom
    Heritage Resource Consultant
    Tiny Activist Project
    me@sarahmarsom.com

• 27.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 05-08-2018 12:12

Hello Everyone,

I am working on a project to restore the Historic Pickensville Rosenwald School located in Pickensville, Alabama built in 1925.  These African American schools were constructed over a twenty-year period between 1912-1932 in the United States. This was the vision of Booker T. Washington, President of Tuskegee Institute and seed money was provided by Julius Rosenwald, CEO of Sears & Roebuck.  Over 5,000 of these schools were built in rural areas in 883 counties in 15 states.  Today only a fraction of the Rosenwald school buildings remain standing. 389 were built in Alabama. Of the 389, 6 were built in Pickens County, Alabama.  Of the 6, the only known one that remain standing is located in our community.  Our goal is to restore it for use as a Community Center and to also create a small museum to house the history of the 6 Rosenwald Schools in our County.  

Our Summer work will include workshops and forums to collect artifacts and share stories of the Once Rosenwald SchoolChildren for use in the Museum. This museum will connect us not only locally, but state wide and Nationally. 

The biggest challenge we face is securing funds for "Brick and Mortar".  It is expensive to restore these old buildings but we will not loose HOPE!  

The Best to all of you in your journey!

Paulette Newberns, Project Director
    Historic Pickensville Rosenwald School          

• 28.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 05-09-2018 09:11
    Hi Paulette and good luck to you!  Thought I'd share an article from about 2 years ago on Oklahoma's efforts. I must admit that I too, like the reporter, was not familiar with this part of our history.  Thank you for all your efforts.
    https://m.newsok.com/article/5480066/rosenwald-film-showings-aim-to-restore-historic-black-schools

June Chubbuck
    The Village, OK

• 29.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 05-09-2018 12:02

I am working to save Abolition Hall in Plymouth Meeting, Pennsylvania. After the Civil War, the family repurposed the Underground Railroad station into an artist's studio.

John Brown led the raid on Harper's Ferry. Thomas Hovenden captured the last moments of John Brown's life in this portrait, which was painted in the repurposed Abolition Hall. Hovenden's neighbors served as models for the figures flanking Brown as he makes his way to the gallows. The iconic painting is on view at the Metropolitan Museum in New York City. 

Abolition Hall

For information on how you can help save this historic landmark, check out my blog post, "#ThisPlaceMatters: Abolition Hall."

Faye Anderson
    Director
    All That Philly Jazz
    Philadelphia PA

• 30.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 05-31-2018 16:13

A monument that pays homage to Cotton Pickers and Sharecroppers does not exist in the United States of America, nor any place else in the world. Meaning, there is no documented "official" honor, nor historical acknowledgment of the people who literally tilled the path to economic greatness in America, Europe, and many parts of the world. The movement to establish a national park that honors the Cotton Pickers of America with a Monument, Sharecroppers Interpretive Center and Historic Trail acknowledging the Global Cotton Empire is underway in the Mississippi Delta. Led by Mississippi-based Khafre, Inc the international charge offers just a small token of appreciation for tireless work of millions of people in the cotton and textile industries around the world.

In 2010, monument developer Ed Dwight provided the plans; in 2012, Dr. Maya Angelou gave her voice and wrote a poem in tribute to this movement; in 2014, Dr. B.B. King signed on; and, in 2015, blues singer Dr. Bobby Rush followed their lead and became the current Honorary Chair for this project. Their collective voice gives significance to the contributions of the hardest-working people the world has known. These are also the people who ultimately realized the least amount of social and economic return for their investments. Their commitment to work reflects their dignity, pride and distinct vision of hope and promise for future generations.

The work spanned for over four centuries, from kin to kain't (can't see in the morning to can't see at night), in the cotton fields of the American South; ultimately making Cotton the most important manufacturing industry in the world ... yet no official governmental entity has thanked them. Our presentation presents with tools to acknowledge the work and instruction on how to build out a grassroots campaign (movement) that preserves the legacy of "cotton pickers" and other disenfranchised people who did the actual work to build the greatest nations in the world.

Khafre, Inc would like to present on this subject during your upcoming conference.

Our scholarship and presentation shall serve as a reminder to your audience that a monument is a necessary and ever-present signal of respect and appreciation for those whose hope for a brighter day wore thin. But worked anyway making cotton the most important manufacturing industry in the world for over two centuries.

For more information:

KHAFRE, INC, Dr. C. Sade Turnipseed, Executive Director

sade@khafreinc.org, 662.347.8198 ~ www.cottonpickers.us

Cassie Turnipseed, PhD
    Executive Director/History Professor
    Khafre, Inc/Mississippi Valley State University
    Indianola MS

• 31.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 06-01-2018 09:42
    In regards to the history and recognition of sharecroppers, the Nanticoke Historic Preservation Alliance in Dorchester County Maryland has produced a 25 minute documentary film on the subject called "Voices of Indiantown".  Professionally produced and edited, this $25,000 project documents oral histories of 12 African Americans who grew up the shareholding families in the 1930-50's.  We have shown it in 7 counties in Maryland.  It is available for purchase on our website, Www.restorehandsell.org

As a follow up to the film, we are currently designing a granite monument to honor the African Americans, from enslaved through shareholders who worked the Indiantown Farm near Handsell, a National Register of HP listed site.

We would be happy to show the film and discuss this story at any venue if so requested.

Midge Ingersoll
    President
    Nanticoke Historic Preservation
    Cambridge MD
    restorehandsell@gmail.com

• 32.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 06-03-2018 21:16
    Hello --

We, Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands, are working to restore and preserve the historic maritime structures on these islands in Door County, Wisconsin.  Our current focus is on the last remaining Duluth-style Life-Saving Station on the Great Lakes.  The building was vacated by the Coast Guard in the 1990's.  The structure is sound, but was last painted with lead-based paint so we need to bring an abatement team before we can repaint and begin the restoration of the interior.  We've gotten estimates of $75K and are feverishly writing grants and letters to potential donors.  As the buildings are on islands, our work season is quite short -- Memorial Day to Labor Day -- so every day is a concerted effort of making good while the sun's shining.

Wish us luck!

Friends of Plum & Pilot Islands
    Friends of Plum & Pilot Islands remove preview
    Friends of Plum & Pilot Islands
    Home
    View this on Friends of Plum & Pilot Islands >

Mary Volmer
    President
    Friends of Plum and Pilot Islands
    marybethvolmer@gmail.com

• 33.  RE: What are you working on?

Posted 06-18-2018 15:51
    Evaluating the accessibility requirements of an historic home to be used as a community senior center.  ADA accessibility guidelines vs. NPS guidelines. Should accessibility be paramount, while preserving as much of historic integrity as possible, or should preserving historic integrity be the goal while making the structure as accessible as possible. What does it mean to preserve an historic home if it is not made into a museum, rather adapted for use by present and future generations? How much consideration do we give use of historic structures now and in the future by people with disabilities, when they were given very little consideration in the past? How do we balance societal values of historic preservation vs. enhancing the independence of people with mobility and sensory impairments? What if we decide some adaptive uses are incompatible with historic structures, knowing, in some instances, such as this one, that might result in abandonment and loss of the structure?

Jim Sparks
    SparksArchitecture.com
    Glasgow KY