Forum Connect

Subject: Revisions to the Uniform Conservation Easement Act

1.  Revisions to the Uniform Conservation Easement Act

Posted 11 days ago
I suspect few organizations are aware of this, but it recently came to my attention that the Study Committee for the Uniform Conservation Easement Act (UCEA) began convening this fall to discuss changes to the UCEA. While this might sound like an academic exercise in revising the Uniform Act, the work of the UCEA Study Committee has the potential to have long term and far ranging impacts on the use of preservation and conservation easements across the country, specifically imposing more onerous requirements on the use and stewardship of preservation and conservation easements. The Study Committee is discussing a wide range of topics, for example consideration of having a public review process built into the uniform act for the creation of easements (a model which has been in place in Massachusetts for decades). One of the most concerning things about the Study Committee's work is the lack of representation by preservation easement holders as observers to the Committee. If your organization holds easements, then it's important to start getting up to speed on the issues the Study Committee is discussing and to submit comments on them.

The Study Committee issued a lengthy report earlier this summer which you can download here that will outline the larger issues they are considering.

The Land Trust Alliance has been doing a good job of following this process, and they have a great collection of materials available
here.

The Study Committee's next conference call will be held on Monday, December 11 from 12-2 PM Eastern. I encourage you to call-in and listen. Here's the call-in information: (800) 430-0714; access code: 4506600 and a link to the agenda.

I would also urge easement holders to submit comments to the Committee as this process moves forward.

------------------------------
Ross M. Bradford | SENIOR ASSOCIATE GENERAL COUNSEL
P 202.588.6252 F 202.588.6272
NATIONAL TRUST FOR HISTORIC PRESERVATION
The Watergate Office Building
2600 Virginia Avenue NW Suite 1100 Washington, DC 20037 www.PreservationNation.org
------------------------------