Forum Connect

Funding Sources and Uses for Local Government Historic Preservation Funds?

• 1.  Funding Sources and Uses for Local Government Historic Preservation Funds?

Posted 12 days ago
    Hello Everyone--
    I am seeking information for a client on public historic preservation funds. We're hoping to glean the following:

• What dedicated revenue streams go for historic preservation funds, preferably utilized by local government historic preservation programs?
    • What is the range of uses to which those funds are applicable?
    • How popular/supported is the fund? I.e., is it recently approved? Does it have to be renewed? Is it regularly a battle to keep it?
    • Bonus points if this is in a big anti-taxation state.
    I have the following funds already in my list:
    • Jefferson County, WV, HP Fund
    • Maryland Heritage Areas Fund
    • St. Louis Metropolitan Zoological Park and Museum District
    • Denver Scientific and Cultural Facilities District
    Thank you in advance. I am always impressed by the knowledge embodied in this forum.

------------------------------
    Jackie Barton
    Birch Wood Planning, LLC
    Westerville OH

• 2.  RE: Funding Sources and Uses for Local Government Historic Preservation Funds?

Posted 11 days ago
    Hello,

The state of Massachusetts has a program that is voted in by each city/town whether
    they want to approve and implement.  It's the Community Preservation Act and funds can only be used
    by non-profit organizations such as community groups, historic house museums, historic societies and
    municipalities etc.  

The fund supports open space protection, historic preservation, affordable housing and outdoor recreation.
    The monies are raised locally by a surcharge of not more than 3% of the tax levy against real property.The 
    CPA statute also creates a statewide Community Preservation Trust Fund, administered by the Department 
    of Revenue (DOR), which provides distributions each year to communities that have adopted CPA. 
    187 municipalities in the state have adopted it.

Private citizens and businesses are not eligible for these funds.  The Gibson House Museum in Boston
    received a $95,000 grant from Boston CPA for structural work on the ground floor in 2019.  

CPA has been a very successful program and created much need funds for historic preservation, open
    space protection and affordable housing throughout the state.

Jackie Blombach
    Gibson House Museum

• 3.  RE: Funding Sources and Uses for Local Government Historic Preservation Funds?

Posted 11 days ago
    Hi Jackie,

The below effort definitely falls into the "long-term thinking" category...

Twenty years ago, we took what I think is a rather unusual approach to helping fund our City of Kalamazoo (MI) Historic Preservation Commission's work.

My husband and I started a preservation fund at the local community foundation.  It's grown because of 3 things: 1) annual gifts from many friends of preservation, 2) sales proceeds from tours and publications, and, 3) a good rate of investment return.

Now, 20 years later, the fund is earning enough money to begin making some small preservation grants and gifts (we've discussed $2,000 - $10,000) - and we are at work setting up processes for making them happen.  Although final decisions are not quite in place yet, I expect grants and gifts will go for both physical building work and preservation planning work.

Kind regards,
    Pam

Pam O'Connor / 
    471 W. South St., #508, Kalamazoo, MI 49007 / 269-342-4608 / phoc508@gmail.com

making time visible...

• 4.  RE: Funding Sources and Uses for Local Government Historic Preservation Funds?

Posted 9 days ago
    The state of Washington has a program which is similar to that of Massachusetts. You can read the official description here: https://app.leg.wa.gov/rcw/default.aspx?cite=36.22.170 and how it is implemented in Clark, the county where I live: https://clark.wa.gov/community-planning/historical-promotion-grants-program. Good luck!
    -- Holly Chamberlain, The Historic Trust

Holly Chamberlain
    Director of Historic Preservation
    The Historic Trust
    Vancouver, WA