Forum Connect

1.  Fun/Unusual Advocacy Campaigns

Posted 12-13-2017 12:19

Greetings All,

I'm curious to learn what interesting and creative ways you have advocated/promoted for historic preservation awareness, particularly in the areas of endangered lists or acknowledging what has been lost.  Looking for something more fun/engaging/creative other than press blasts of lists.

Thanks!

Harry Klinkhamer

Historical Resources Manager

941-486-2490

hklinkhamer@venicegov.com

Venice Museum & Archives

http://www.venicemuseum.org/

City of Venice

http://venicegov.com

Need to Report an Issue? SeeClickFix Venice Connect is available as an app for Android and iPhone. Select SeeClickFix from your app store on your device and choose Venice, Florida. There is also a link to the program on the city's website, www.venicegov.com, or go directly to SeeClickFix at http://www.seeclickfix.com/Venice

PLEASE NOTE: This agency is a public entity and is subject to Chapter 119, Florida Statutes, concerning public records. Email communications are covered under such laws; therefore, email sent or received on this entity's computer system, including your email address, may be disclosed to the public and media upon request. If you do not want your email address released to a public records request, do not send electronic mail to this entity. Instead, contact this office by phone or in writing.

2.  RE: Fun/Unusual Advocacy Campaigns

Posted 12-14-2017 06:45
For more than 20 years, we've engaged photographers to record the places on our endangered list. We hold a gallery exhibit open to the public. Next year, we're going to have the photographers lead walks and talks to give insights into the stories they attempted to capture and tell through their photography. I hope to sell the works next year to recoup some of our costs. The state arts council typically throws a little grant our way, too, which helps.

--
Brent Runyon
Executive Director
Providence Preservation Society
24 Meeting Street 
Providence, RI 02903

Working to improve Providence by advocating for historic preservation and the enhancement of its unique character through thoughtful design and planning.

3.  RE: Fun/Unusual Advocacy Campaigns

Posted 12-14-2017 08:41

Many years ago, Indiana Landmarks sent a packet of 10 Most postcards.  They were joined and folded accordion-style into a self-mailer.  I think it became too expensive, but with all of today's digital printing options, it might be a cost effective promotion.  The idea was for people to mail the postcards to others and spread the word about the properties.

Suzanne

Suzanne Rollins Stanis

Director of Heritage Education and Information

Indiana Landmarks

1201 Central Avenue

Indianapolis, IN 46202

Ph. 317-639-4534, 800-450-4534

Fax: 317-639-6734

www.indianalandmarks.org

Indiana Landmarks revitalizes communities, reconnects us to our heritage, and saves meaningful places.

Become a member  I  Subscribe to our e-letter  I  Find us on Facebook  I  Follow us on Twitter

4.  RE: Fun/Unusual Advocacy Campaigns

Posted 12-14-2017 10:30
Hello Harry,

Please see the Florida Trust for Historic Preservation's program "Florida's 11 to Save" here

Also see on the Gainesville Modern site  "Moderns that Matter Initiative." - very successful group and programs that educates the larger community on the rich mid-century heritage in Gainesville FL.

Both programs are engaging and well-known examples of promoting awareness for our threatened historic resources.

Hope these are useful.

5.  RE: Fun/Unusual Advocacy Campaigns

Posted 12-15-2017 08:40
Edited by Sarah Marsom 12-15-2017 08:58
There is always the option to heart bomb (or lovescape) a building. Here are a couple blogs from the Trust on the 2017 efforts (one and two). In 2017, a number of young preservationists groups worked to coordinate our heart bombing efforts on one specific day to have a heightened social media impact.

The Columbus Landmarks Foundation has been hosting drawing nights, so that people can draw their vision for the future of a structure. In addition to drawing nights they have partnered with the local arts high school, and teenagers are submitting ideas into the competition. All of the drawings are then showcased for an evening event and there are winners for their ideas. After one of these drawing events this year a building owner reached out to me  to see how he could get copies of the building ideas (he knew I was part of the Young Ohio Preservationists, and we partnered on one of the drawing events with Columbus Landmarks). 

For the first time this year Columbus Landmarks Foundation had a guided bus tour of the endangered sites. This is both a good and bad idea (in my opinion). Good, because YAY getting people out there to see the buildings in person and having a tour guide educate them further. Bad, because many of the endangered buildings are in neglected areas and this can be perceived as "slum tourism," which I believe can exacerbate the perception that the preservationist is an outsider trying to impose their ideas/vision.

They also made a new website to highlight the endangered buildings this year. For each building they created a unique video history. I encourage you check it out. mostendangeredcbus.org

The Buffalo Young Preservationists have hosted memorial tours for buildings lost, and the Young Ohio Preservationists are considering doing this fall of 2018 as an alternative to a Halloween tour. BYP made grave markers and had photos of the buildings that have been torn down.

I hope this helps! Let me know if you have any questions or would like to be connected to coordinators of the specific activities for further insight into the planning process. 

------------------------------
Sarah Marsom
Historic Preservationist
Tiny Jane Project
Columbus, OH
336-324-0648
sarah.marsom@gmail.com
------------------------------

SaveSave