Forum Connect

Preservation Milestones in 2018

• 1.  Preservation Milestones in 2018

Posted 12-28-2018 11:32
    Hello everyone! I  just posted our annual list of things you may have missed in 2018, but I wanted to ask you - our Forum Connect members- what you are the most proud of this year in your work as preservationists. What are some tools you would like to learn more about in 2019?

Take a look at the blog post and then share your story!

------------------------------
    Priya Chhaya
    Associate Director, Publications and Programs
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Preservation Milestones in 2018

Ambassador
    Posted 12-31-2018 15:42
    Hi Priya. I'm lucky in that most of my professional time is spent helping people with severe physical and mental disabilities avoid institutionalization and stay in their homes as long as possible. It makes for a rewarding career. It also makes me think about topics such as new housing in old buildings and how increasing density highlights the need for innovation in methods of compatible vertical and horizontal accessibility.  During the coming year I would like to engage with forum members regarding the need to move beyond thinking of people with disabilities as a group separate from the "normal" population and discuss the concept of a continuum. That is we are all born with, and will end our lives with, disabilities, and in between at any given time in our lives, we exist on a continuum of disability.  While this may be self-evident, it does have significant impact on our current approach of regarding accessibility in preservation and reuse as something to be added after the important work is done. Happy New Year.

Jim Sparks
    Glasgow KY