Forum Connect

Historic Sites Tour Software Recommendations?

• 1.  Historic Sites Tour Software Recommendations?

National Trust Advisor
    Posted 05-18-2020 19:22
    Over the last five years, Nevada Preservation has stabilized, digitized, and begun to curate the Hugh Taylor Archive. Currently, interaction with the archive is on a computer or device and is not linked to the physical sites of the resources. We are now looking for software that we could use to get people to the homes and commercial buildings he designed. Optimally, individuals would be able to use it to (1) take tours of specific site either walking or driving, (2) receive GPS alerts when a Hugh Taylor building is near by, (3) check in at historic sites and share that info on their social media, and (4)  participate in interactives (e.g. pictures, construction records) that a user could optionally pull up. This is not a definitive list and there may be some things apps do that are not on our current list. Any recommendations are much appreciated!

------------------------------
    Heidi Swank
    Nevada Preservation Foundation
    Las Vegas NV

• 2.  RE: Historic Sites Tour Software Recommendations?

Posted 06-05-2020 12:08
    @Heidi Swank I was going to suggest Next Exit History but for some reason their website is down. https://www.linkedin.com/showcase/next-exit-history/

I'm going to post anyway for this to pop up to the top and remind people about the question.

Priya Chhaya
    Associate Director, of Content
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 3.  RE: Historic Sites Tour Software Recommendations?

Posted 06-06-2020 23:02
    There's Clio. I haven't used it, and it doesn't look like it does even half the stuff you're looking for, but I thought I'd still list it, just in case it's useful. :-)  https://www.theclio.com/ 

Meg Dunn
    Fort Collins CO

• 4.  RE: Historic Sites Tour Software Recommendations?

Posted 06-07-2020 15:24
    I have the Clio app on my phone. 

I have used it and it is pretty neat. I had it open one time and suddenly my phone started talking! I couldn't figure out what was going on until I figured out it was the Clio app! It picks up on an historic site in the database and will start reading the information. 

I'm sure that if you contacted the company that they might be able to come up with a way to have Clio provide the information that you want. The great thing is that anyone can add to the database so the app may work for you as is.

Trish 
    Trish Neal, AAHP President
    Direct: 907-717-8117   Office: 907-929-9870
    Alaska Association for Historic Preservation, Inc.
    PO Box 102205 -- 420 M Street -- Anchorage, AK  99510