Forum Connect

infared paint removal

• 1.  infared paint removal

Posted 09-29-2017 16:46
    Does anyone know about infrared heat removal process to remove paint as an "equal" to the chemical stripping process? What are your opinions? Thank you!

------------------------------
    Rebecca Fenwick
    Lominack Kolman Smith Architects
    Savannah GA
    (336)682-5196

• 2.  RE: infared paint removal

Posted 10-02-2017 11:36
    Hi Rebecca,

I once took a wood stripping & painting class from Bob Yapp, who I believe is part of this community. Part of that included using the infrared heat to strip off the paint. It did work (and was cool to watch), and seemed to be less messy than the paint stripping I'm done. It is similar though in that you still have to scrape off the paint, and do it quickly while the paint is still warm and pliable from the heat. Do you have any specific questions about using heat vs. chemicals?

Marais Bjornberg
    Minneapolis MN

• 3.  RE: infared paint removal

Posted 10-03-2017 08:52
    The only infared tool I am familiar with is the SpeedHeater system.  I have used it personally in a Restoration Methods class in grad school to strip windows.  It is also the tool that Bob Yapp uses.  My domestic partner is involved with window restoration and  he has one - it is pretty essential for him.  It gets hot, but it has a protective shield, and it also does not heat to the point of vaporizing the lead.  He used to have two, but one was stolen from the job site - the only thing taken, if that gives you an idea of its value.  And his contractor friends frequently ask to borrow it.

Vicki Birenberg, AICP
    CLG Program & Planning Coordinator
    Kentucky Heritage Council
    Frankfort, KY
    vicki.birenberg@ky.gov

• 4.  RE: infared paint removal

Posted 10-02-2017 12:02
    We have employed this technique and found it to be effective. First let me state one of the manufacturer's stated attributes of the process, a major consideration; the 600 degree temperatures for the technique are BELOW the temperature at which the lead in lead paint volatilizes (650 degrees f). The process works effectively. Some usage considerations: use two of them in tandem to increase speed, and set all exposed nail heads before scraping. This infrared process does take longer than chemical stripping, but its use requires no special ancillary equipment. AND of significant importance in preservation practice, IR paint stripping is highly controllable. Another consideration in the selection of stripping process, If your surfaces to be stripped are contoured, such as log structure, unless you have some kind of flexible scraper, the scraping process needs to be executed with great care to avoid damage. Essentially, each situation requires a good deal of evaluation/thought to select the most appropriate removal system: cost efficient, effective, and without damage to the subject historic fabric or adjacent elements (windows, doors, hardware), the ground scape plant materials, and damages from unwanted dispersal of spray or wash down water. One can see how the IR system control attributes are readily appreciated.

John Feinberg [Architectural Conservator]
    The Collaborative, Inc.
    Boulder CO
    john@thecollaborativeinc.netjohn@thecollaborativeinc.net]

• 5.  RE: infared paint removal

Posted 10-04-2017 11:15
    Edited by John Leeke 10-04-2017 11:38
    The following is based on the hundreds of paint removal projects I have done over the past several decades, as a hands-on tradesman, contractor,building owner, and project advisor. I do not offer paint removal services nor do I sell paint removal products or accept any products from manufacturers or marketers, nor do I promote or endorse any product. There is no single "best" or "worst" method or product. Each of the methods listed below (and the products used to implement them) has particular advantages and disadvantages. It is up to us, as professionals, to recognize this and select the method that serves the needs of each project.

Paint Removal Method Comparison

-Steam
    Advantages
    -no fire risk
    -dampens wood (but will dry out)
    -low materials cost (water)
    -helps control lead health risk (damp process)
    -moderate equipment cost
    Disadvantages
    -wood surface damage (avoided with proper scraping technique)

-Chemical

Advantages
    -no fire risk
    -helps control lead health risk (damp process)
    -low equipment cost
    Disadvantages
    -chemical damage to wood surface
    -high materials cost
    -The Brown Ooze (with caustic chemicals left in joints)
    -slow production rate

-Infrared Lamp
    Advantages
    -dry process (ready for next steps immediately)
    -helps control lead health risk (limits dust & finely divided particles)
    -fast production rate
    Disadvantages
    -high fire risk
    -demands effective pro-active safety program
    -high equipment cost
    -difficult to control excessive heat

-Hot Air Gun
    Advantages
    -moderate production rate
    -low equipment cost
    Disadvantages
    -high fire risk
    -demands effective pro-active safety program
    -difficult to control excessive heat
    -difficult to control lead dust dispersal
    -high lead-safe containment cost

-Vacuum Scrape
    Advantages
    -no fire risk
    Disadvantages
    -high equipment cost (HEPA vacuum, special scraper)
    -slow production rate

-Damp Scrape
    Advantages
    -no fire risk
    -helps control lead health risk
    -low equipment cost
    Disadvantages
    -slow production rate

-Dry Scrape
    Advantages
    -no fire risk
    Disadvantages