Forum Connect

Vote Your Main Street -- Who are you voting for!?

• 1.  Vote Your Main Street -- Who are you voting for!?

Posted 09-24-2019 10:31
    Edited by Colleen Danz 09-24-2019 10:37
    We just launched our Partners in Preservation Vote Your Main Streets campaign!! From now until October 30 you can vote for Main Streets across the country for $2 million in preservation funding!​

This year, to mark the upcoming 100th anniversary of the passage of the 19th amendment, Partners in Preservation emphasizes historic buildings and sites that celebrate the contributions of women in Main Street communities across America, both historic and modern day. Through this, Partners in Preservation will seek to uncover and raise awareness of women's often unrecognized contributions to American history and society.

We have 20 sites participating across the country (just announced this morning!) Wondering, have you been to any? Are you cheering on any specific site? I've been to two that are on the list: The Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace in Savannah and Dr. Justina Ford Home in Denver.

All of the ones participating are having open houses, so if there's one in your community it's a great chance to check it out. I'll be going to the Ladies' Literary Clubhouse in Salt Lake City in October for their open house -- they're having a dance party, so excited!

Colleen

The 20 sites vying for Partners in Preservation: Main Streets grants include (visit VoteYourMainStreet.org for full info and to vote!):

• Astoria, OR | Odd Fellows Building
    • Austin, TX | Elisabet Ney Museum
    • Denver, CO | Dr. Justina Ford Home
    • Franklin, TN | Franklin Grove Estate & Gardens
    • Holly, MI | Holly Union Depot
    • Janesville, WI | Janesville Woman's Club
    • Kansas City, MO | EGG (Economic Growth Gallery) Building
    • Los Angeles, CA | Downtown Women's Center
    • Macon, GA | Ruth Hartley Mosley Memorial Women's Center
    • Minneapolis, MN | The Women's Club of Minneapolis
    • Monroeville, AL | Monroe County Courthouse
    • Mount Pleasant, IA | Union Block
    • Painesville, OH | College Hall (Lake Erie College)
    • Rawlins, WY | Strand Theatre
    • Salt Lake City, UT | The Clubhouse
    • Savannah, GA | Juliette Gordon Low Birthplace
    • Seattle, WA | YWCA Seneca Headquarters
    • Staten Island, NY | Casa Belvedere
    • West Chester, PA | Chester County Historical Society
    • West Palm Beach, FL | Ann Norton Sculpture Gardens

------------------------------
    Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 2.  RE: Vote Your Main Street -- Who are you voting for!?

Posted 09-25-2019 10:54
    It is interesting that so many of these sites are connected to women.

Sent from my iPhone

• 3.  RE: Vote Your Main Street -- Who are you voting for!?

Posted 09-25-2019 18:44
    Congrats on the launch! Seems like just yesterday we were working on the 2018 campaign.

I love all these projects, but I have to go with my town of Los Angeles. The Downtown Women's Center not only helps women live healthy, productive lives -- the former shoe factory was built by a woman, Florence Casler, in the 1920s. Florence got into building after taking over her husband's plumbing business when he abandoned the family. By the time he came back, she'd grown the business to a dozen employees. L.A. is full of badass women like Florence.

I must say, though, my heart's also tugged by the one in Macon, my dad's hometown.

I'm glad we get 5 votes a day and wish they all could win!

Cindy Olnick
    Los Angeles, CA

• 4.  RE: Vote Your Main Street -- Who are you voting for!?

Posted 09-26-2019 09:43
    @Cindy Olnick thanks for voting .. and fun that you were part of the campaign in the past. It def takes up a lot of our time!
    @Frances MacIntyre yes, we're highlighting sites devoted to telling women's history -- in part to celebrate the anniversary of the 19th amendment and also to put a spotlight on the fact that such a small percentage of sites on the National Register focus on stories from underrepresented communities ... something I know a lot of folks are trying to work to change. To not only increase that number, but also to focus on telling all stories at historic sites across the country.
     ​​

Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 5.  RE: Vote Your Main Street -- Who are you voting for!?

Posted 09-26-2019 23:35
    I'm voting whole heartedly for the Dr. Justina Ford Home, AKA the Black American West Museum & Heritage Center. It is hands down the best house museum I have ever visited. Every room has a compelling story to tell. And there really is something for everyone, from the story of Dr. Justina Ford (the first licensed African American female doctor in Denver), to rodeo cowboys, and from a Black man passing as White and joining the KKK in order to spy (decades before the BlacKKKlansman story in Colorado Springs ever happened) to the story of a Black community called Dearfield on the Colorado plains and much, much more. 

Meg Dunn
    Fort Collins CO