Forum Connect

Revolving Fund Feasibility Studies

• 1.  Revolving Fund Feasibility Studies

Posted 03-13-2019 16:25
    Historic Atlanta was recently awarded a grant from the 1772 Foundation to develop a feasibility study for a revolving loan property fund. I understand that, like the funds themselves, these feasibility studies can take many different shapes and forms. I am curious to see what other organizations have produced.

Would any folks in the Forum community be willing to share copies of their previously completed feasibility studies?

Thanks

------------------------------
    Charles Lawrence
    Architectural Conservator / Preservation Planner
    Lord Aeck Sargent
    Atlanta GA
    -----------------------------------------
    Chair, Board of Directors
    Historic Atlanta, Inc.
    www.historicatlanta.org

• 2.  RE: Revolving Fund Feasibility Studies

Posted 03-14-2019 10:54

Charles,

I would strongly advise looking at the two attached documents. One is a Revolving Fund Impact Report that the NTHP developed in collaboration with the 1772 Foundation and SCAD in 2014. It offers a good overview of what different funds do and their accomplishments.

Probably more useful for your purposes is the attached master's thesis. It was done by Oliva Mitchell at Penn in 2011. When I working to develop a fledgling fund in Louisville several years ago, I found the data she compiled exceptionally helpful. It shows that funds vary a lot in terms of organization, operation, and priorities, and taking local conditions and opportunities into account is really important. This is, in some ways, a no-brainer, but it helped myself and my colleagues think realistically about what we could do and where we could have an impact.

Although neither of these are feasibility studies, they should help you begin developing yours. Certainly they provide lots of relevant examples to draw from.

Best,

Daniel

Daniel Vivian
    Associate Professor and Chair
    Department of Historic Preservation
    University of Kentucky
    Lexington, KY 40506
    (859) 323-6392

• 3.  RE: Revolving Fund Feasibility Studies

Posted 03-14-2019 14:38
    To just add to Daniel's list of resources, we did a video with SCAD when making the report (The Revolving Fund) and in 2014 our Forum Journal looked into revolving funds.
    Hope this helps!
    Colleen

Colleen Danz
    Forum Marketing Manager
    National Trust for Historic Preservation
    Washington DC

• 4.  RE: Revolving Fund Feasibility Studies

Posted 03-15-2019 09:32
    Charles, sending you a google drive invite to 9 studies we've compiled, plus RFP examples and our working draft of same.

Jack Thomson
    Director
    Preservation Society of Asheville and Buncombe County
    Asheville NC

• 5.  RE: Revolving Fund Feasibility Studies

Posted 03-15-2019 10:41
    Thank you all, These are really helpful resources.

I'm fortunate to say that Olivia Mitchell (Olivia Mitchell Brock now) is a former classmate of mine and I know her thesis work well. It is part of the inspiration in pursuing a revolving fund for Atlanta. I've read through the National Trust material as well and have stalked a few of the organizations that come up often in discussions about, like the Georgia Trust and Historic Macon.

Charles Lawrence
    Architectural Conservator / Preservation Planner
    Lord Aeck Sargent
    Atlanta GA
    -----------------------------------------
    Chair, Board of Directors
    Historic Atlanta, Inc.
    www.historicatlanta.org