- The nominee must be an individual or organization who has made substantial contributions to the historic preservation field. Organizational awardees are very rare.
- Posthumous nominations are not accepted.
- Self nominations are not accepted.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation Trustees, Advisors, and staff are not eligible to receive a National Preservation Award for individual achievement during the period of their active service and for three years thereafter.
To be considered for the Louise du Pont Crowninshield Award, nominated individuals or organizations must demonstrate indisputable evidence of superlative achievement over time in the preservation and interpretation of our cultural, architectural or maritime heritage, including buildings, architecture, districts, archeology, cultural landscapes, and objects of significance in the history and culture of the United States.
The Louise du Pont Crowninshield Award recipient will receive:
- Complimentary registration to the PastForward conference and complimentary guests at the award ceremony (exact time and location TBD)
- A physical award which will be presented at an awards ceremony during the PastForward conference
- The Louise du Pont Crowninshield awardee must be present at the award ceremony during the PastForward conference in order to receive the award
- The award recipient is responsible for their own travel and lodging to PastForward
- The recipient may be asked to provide quotes and background information for press releases and other media surrounding the award and the award presentation
- Recipients may be asked to give brief remarks during the awards ceremony
- December 16, 2019: Nomination period opens
- February 3, 2020: Nomination forms due at 11:59 p.m. local time
- By July 1, 2020: Nominators and award recipients notified
- October 28-30, 2020: Award presented at PastForward 2020 in Miami, FL. Award recipient is required to be present at the award presentation.
Nominators must complete one nomination form (requirements listed below) and submit it before the February 3 deadline in order for the nominee to be considered. Self-nominations are not accepted for the Crowninshield Award.
In order to be considered for the Louise du Pont Crowninshield Award, a nomination including the following must be submitted by February 3, 2020 at 11:59 p.m. local time:
- A completed nomination form that includes:
- A concise narrative (5,000 characters or less including spaces) that describes the individual’s preservation achievements and addresses the award’s specific criteria (listed above)
- Up to 5 brochures or news clippings
- Up to 3 letters of recommendation
- Up to 5 photos
Nomination Procedures & Key Dates
Nominations must conform to the procedures outlined on this page to be considered for an award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation.
Award recipients and nominators will be notified no later than July 1, 2020. The nominator will be notified for those not selected. The 2020 National Preservation Awards will be presented during PastForward 2020 in Miami, Flordia October 28-30, 2020. Award recipients are required to be present at their award presentation.
All nominations must be submitted online. Paper submissions will not be accepted.
Click here to access our online awards and grants submission center. To begin your nomination, you will need to use your existing login or select "Create New Account". Once you have created an account and logged into the system, click "Apply" from the menu at the top of your screen. Select the 2020 National Preservation Awards (For Individual and Organization Nominees). Please note, this is different from the 2020 Richard H. Driehaus Foundation National Preservation Awards form nomination form. Once you begin your nomination, you will be able to save your progress and return to the site to continue working on the form.
If you have any questions, please contact Lizzy Barringer at (202) 588-6315 or email@example.com.