- Any individual, organization, agency or project involved in historic preservation is eligible to receive a National Preservation Award.
- Nominations submitted in previous years that were not selected to receive an award may be updated and resubmitted.
- Nominations may be made without the knowledge of the nominee, but nominees must be present at the award ceremony to receive recognition.
- Self-nominations will be accepted for all categories except the Crowninshield Award.
- Nominations for posthumous awards will not be accepted.
- National Trust for Historic Preservation Trustees, Advisors, and staff are not eligible to receive a National Preservation Award for individual achievement during the period of their active service and for three years thereafter.
- Properties owned by the National Trust for Historic Preservation will not be considered, nor will individuals or groups of individuals for their work relative to National Trust properties.
To be considered for the American Express Aspire Award, nominated individuals must meet the following criteria:
- Have ten or fewer years of experience in the preservation field
- Demonstrate a serious commitment to preservation through their work, both paid and volunteer
- Raise the visibility of preservation through their efforts
- Be an innovator in the field and demonstrate measurable impacts of their work
- Have influence in their community
- January 16, 2017 — Nomination period opens
- March 1, 2017 — Nomination forms due at 11:59 p.m. EST
- July 14, 2017 — Nominators and award recipients notified
- November 14-17, 2017 — Award presented at PastForward 2017 in Chicago, IL
Nominators must complete one nomination form (requirements listed below) and submit it before the March 1 deadline in order for the nominee to be considered for a National Preservation Award. Self-nominations are accepted.
In order to be considered for an American Express Aspire Award, a nomination including the following must be submitted by March 1, 2016 at 11:59 p.m. EST:
- A completed nomination form that includes:
- A concise narrative (4,000 characters or less including spaces) that describes the individual’s preservation achievements and addresses the award’s specific criteria (listed above)
- Up to 5 brochures or news clippings
- Up to 3 letters of recommendation
- Up to 5 photos
Nomination Procedures & Key Dates
Nominations must conform to the procedures outlined on this page to be considered for an award from the National Trust for Historic Preservation. A link to the nomination can be found at the bottom of this page. Please be sure to read all guidelines and eligibility information before starting your nomination.
Award recipients and nominators will be notified no later than July 14, 2017. The nominator will be notified for those not selected. The 2017 National Preservation Awards will be presented during PastForward 2017 in Chicago, IL, November 14–17, 2017. Award recipients are required to be present at their award presentation.
Award recipients may be asked to contribute to the National Trust’s Preservation Leadership Forum blog, the Forum Journal, or to present at PastForward.
All nominations must be submitted online. Paper submissions will not be accepted.
Click here to access our online awards and grants submission center. To begin your nomination, you will need to use your existing login or select "Create New Account". Once you have created an account and logged into the system, click "Apply" from the menu at the top of your screen. Select the 2017 National Preservation Awards form. Please note, this is different from the 2017 Driehaus Preservation Awards nomination form. Once you begin your nomination, you will be able to save your progress and return to the site to continue working on the form.
If you have any questions, please contact Rebecca Bice at (202) 588-6084 or email@example.com.